Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

names in board stats [SOLVED]
#
so our board stats as of yesterday have been displaying oddly. i couldn't for the life of me figure out why– staff and i have discussed and even when all us are logged in, we can't see each other.

at any one times we typically only see our names, or if not our names, then only one or two other members names when we know other staff is online, not logged in anonymously. i've logged out and back in again to doublecheck that i wasn't on anon but to no avail.

this is our board:

http://nightlands.jcink.net/index.php?

if this is just a temporary thing, or just something i did possibly ? that'd be great to know.

i've checked it over on just the default skin and it continues to have the same problem.

sorry if it's something i totally overlooked and thanks !
PM
#
this is our board:

http://nightlands.jcink.net/index.php?

if this is just a temporary thing, or just something i did possibly ? that'd be great to know.

It is likely something you did as there have been no changes to the codebase lately. Check your prefix/suffix syntax for your groups. Make sure that there are no missing 's or "s in the span tags that may be causing the rest of the list to be "eaten."

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
there have been no changes made to any user prefixes or suffixes and this is a recent issue. i'll take a look into that first thing however.

edit;; so our prefix is actually simply a closed span tag ahead of the username. we've never had issues with it in the past.

this is what i see on inspection.

Attached Image

so no outlier coding being 'swallowed'. we've noticed a LARGE uptick in guests that could potentially be members on the site ?

this is what it looks like on the default skin, and within the code.

Attached Image

i'm not ruling out that i've done something to break the site, but this started happening in a break between fiddling with codes. the site was working fine as far as i can remember four days ago, and i didn't edit any code until yesterday.

i'll try and take a closer look when i can see a user or two online on occassion however, as 2-3 names seem to show up when they are actually online and no one else.

it's probably honestly something minute i'm overlooking so i'll try and take another skim through.

editedit;; took the mo to re-inspect user prefixes just to be doubley sure. they look squared and away for me. i did mess around with cookies, not at all regarding stats in anyway...i'll try clearing those ??? tho i'm not sure it would do anything at all ahahaha edit;; nope. hmmm. checked it out on the secure link at https and still displaying the issue thinking i did something weird there as well.

This post has been edited by clicker: Nov 12 2017, 02:53 AM

Attached 2 File(s)
PM
#
That span tag doesn't look like it would cause any problems. It's fine to have it in the suffix as I see you're creating a little dot.

Is this an issue you are able to reproduce by having two browsers open and using a secondary account?

signature
#
i've been able to re-produce the issue across 3 separate browsers all logged in to 3 separate accounts at the same time. chrome canary, chrome & firefox.

i'm only ever able to see the current account i'm logged into.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

edit;; i can also try it on the default skin if you think that might help any, or if it could be my scripting error.

This post has been edited by clicker: Nov 12 2017, 02:55 PM

Attached 3 File(s)
PM
#
i did mess around with cookies

What do you mean by this?

For some reason your sessions are getting purged or overwritten or something.

signature
#
i was using local storage to store cbox position and setting it to 'remember' whether it was toggled on or off.

thinking back on it, this issue actually started the day before i started touching any cookies or editing any coding at all. that being said, i can try removing & clearing the cookies to see if it would help anything ?

i've purged cookies and moved to the default skin without it seeming to fix anything. i'll try removing the toggle cbox for now though.

edit;; i removed all instances of hosted scripting and purged cookies but it didn't seem to help. at times i can get up to 3 members, but no more than that. my other staff says they're the same, refreshing seems to get them maybe 2-3 members, including themselves, but usually upon refresh it's gone again.

i can go further and actually remove the scripting rather than just the hosted libraries, but i figured clearing cookies & removing the scripting would probably be enough ?

please let me know if there's anything else i can try !

Attached Image

This post has been edited by clicker: Nov 12 2017, 03:58 PM

Attached 1 File(s)
PM
#
Kind of a shot in the dark, but since this sounds frustrating as hell I figured I'd add this in the interest of being thorough (though you may have already checked this):

Log into ACP > System Settings > General Configuration > under "Board Statistics Set-up" make sure 'show active users' is set to 'yes' and cut off for active user display in minutes' is set for at least a two-diget number.

The fact that this is happening even on the default skin makes me wonder if it's something to do with settings. Either way, good luck sorting this out.

signature
user posted image
#
i'll check it out !!! thanks. we haven't changed anything and we've been open for 2 months ish w/o issues so i wonder if something wonky just happened for some reason.

edit;; nope, settings seem normal. weird. D^: thanks for the help tho ! i'm willing to try anything at this point ahaha.

This post has been edited by clicker: Nov 12 2017, 05:24 PM
PM
#
not to rush the issue, but I can confirm that 4-6 mods/admins have been logged in at one time and been unable to see each other for whatever reason. we've all logged in/out after scripts were disabled and just generally to check over the last two days, and it's always the same deal. 1-3 people are the most we see and even then, it's not consistent with the mods/admins currently testing and SHOULD appear to be logged in.

this isn't including the outrageous amount of guests that are always on, some of which I assume are members but their sessions aren't registering?
PM
#
We can try applying a default configuration file to the board. This won't change forum permissions but will change some settings you might have had. I can back up your current config file and restore it if it does not fix the problem. If that is alright with you I will try that. I just need a test member account.

I'm not really sure why your board is having this issue. It's looking more to be a bug but it's isolated to just your forum; I don't think it's a skin issue. No one else is reporting this, so it leads me to think it's some corruption of the settings.

I checked it was accurately tracking me as a guest, and I do not think they are members. It's normal to have an "outrageous amount of guests" online especially if a board has been up for a while, those are bots or search engine spiders. On this board alone we have ~50 with half of those i estimate being unknown spiders and spammers.

signature
#
that sounds fine with me and the rest of staff. we can make you an account / give you details to an account, or you can register.

i guess we thought the guests being members theory just because of the large spikes suddenly. i've known most new sites to hit the teens but 23+ and we're not very large.

thank you for taking a peer into this !
PM
#
so update ! we'd been intending to check IPs and staff are so far appearing as guests, so i assume members are as well. i've checked 3 separate IPs appearing under guests. it seems randomized each time i refresh– sometimes they show up under their name, on next refresh, they then revert back to guest.

don't know if this helps at all or not, but the plot thickens i suppose.
PM
#
I restored to default config. It looks like it fixed it. I see 3 people online including myself. Can you verify if it seems fixed? clicker

update:

Cee, test, Cora Penrose, James Darrow, Lou

5 members + 12 guests

signature
#
clicker will probably reply in a few here, but we still can't see all of our staff currently online. some are still appearing as guests which I just confirmed through their ips.

: (

the only upside's been that we're all generally seeing more people than normal. I see 4-5 consistently now.

This post has been edited by nightley: Nov 14 2017, 06:33 PM
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 3  ClosedNew TopicNew Poll