Pages: (6) « First ... 4 5 6  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Icyboards -> Jcink convertor
#
Just want to pop in to say -- John 100/10 for you and Spork getting this running smoothly. It's sad to hear that so many forum owners are going to be stranded with Zeta and Icyboards closing down, but at least some of them will have a (mostly) seamless transition. Good luck on that converter! It's refreshing to see the amount of work and honest dedication being put into it.

Although, this brings me to an idea: perhaps we should have a list of resources (ie resource boards, maybe ones hosted on Jcink or converting over from Icyboards?) that have premade skins to choose from for those Icyboards users converting over? Since it's been mentioned skins won't convert over, I think this would be a great way for them to start looking around, making a test board, playing around with them, etc, to get used to things, and find a design they like, especially those who aren't up to taking the dive into making their own. I know there's a few on the regular Jcink resource, but there's tons of others out there as well.
PM
#
Well there is a list in the admin panel for some themes you can preview and install in a single click by default on Jcink so that will help.

As for resource forums I've seen three named. The third is recent, being made by Cory of ZetaBoards where he and Helena have been working on converting over ZB/IF themes in a gallery akin to what ZB/IF used to have.

signature
Oh noes the snobolds!

user posted image https://discord.gg/A5DmErU (Community ZetaBoards Discord for updates on the ZB transfers.) user posted image
ZB transfers have begun.
PM
#
I'm ready for convertor, do I just email you john?

signature
user posted image
PM
#
Email me the database and I’ll get a preview video out to you. Just a quick one to see if anything looks out of place and then if it looks ok there then we go forward with a planned date/time for a real move. I’m doing some more real conversions but I’m a little behind on previews. Will catch up on everything, since time is running out to remain on IB. I’ve got the converter the best it can be right now. It even saves avatars http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I will email all previews who have been requested on 7/13 up to this point, if I didn't reply yet I got your email just still working through everything. The conversions so far have been a great success based on the feedback provided. If there is anyone out there waiting on this please get your database to me for a preview asap. Others can start emailing me and setting up times to coordinate their move.

signature
#
All who have emailed me who asked for a preview video at this point have been sent one. If I missed you -- please let me know! We have also completed actual conversions at this point that went live, from both small to large forums successfully.

Going forward, because of the current success rate, we won't be doing the video preview anymore. Just a few screenshots and an initial test of the database import.

So if you wish to convert from IB, please:

1. Send an email to admin@jcink.com with your IB database attached

2. Include a link to your IB forum

3. Wait for my response -- I'll try to respond to you within 24-48 hours regarding whether I was able to successfully import your board into my development server.

4. If the import into the development server goes well, then I'll send you some screenshots of the board stats, the general forum layout, maybe a topic or two -- just to see if at a glance it looks as it should.

5. If everything goes OK with the test import and we're OK with the preview, then we'll schedule a time that's best for you and us to coordinate a conversion. In general, if a board has less or around than 100k posts then a conversion installation can be done in around 30 minutes from the time that I start working on it.

Everyone who wants to move from IB at this point to our service needs to email me ASAP as we are ready to begin conversions.

Please keep in mind that we are converting/migrating the following data:

1. Topics
2. Posts (links in the posts will be remapped)
3. Members & their Profiles (all users will need to reset their password with forgotten password recovery)
4. Categories
5. Forums
6. PMs
7. Avatars

Forum permissions will need to be reconfigured. Skins/themes will not be converted.

Before sending a final database copy ot us for moving, please do what you can to delete anything that isn't necessary. If you have a trashcan of old deleted posts for example and you really don't care about keeping them, please dletete them as every little bit helps make the conversion process faster.

signature
#
John, quick question. Is there anyway to say.. in the future convert from jcink to mybb if need be?? Thanks.

signature
user posted image
PM
#
QUOTE (Esper @ Jul 15 2018, 03:00 AM)
John, quick question. Is there anyway to say.. in the future convert from jcink to mybb if need be?? Thanks.

Yes. This converter works fine with MyBB 1.8.x so going forward we have added a solid MyBB converter to our toolset that can only get better.

And also as Spork985 pointed out to me the MyBB merge system has loads of forums added to it.

So, in theory, for example.... say we want to convert a phpBB forum. We don't have a phpBB converter. That's ok, we can use the MyBB merge system to convert phpBB DB -> MyBB DB and then our conversion tool will convert MyBB DB-> JFH DB. Note that I have not actually tested this yet, but the spork985 has told me that I should utilize it in the future since the MyBB Merge System works extremely well.

signature
#
Oh I was wondering if we would be able to use the converter to go from jcink -> mybb in the future.

signature
user posted image
PM
#
I misread your question as from mybb to jcink rather than the other way around. sorry.

The answer is no. There will not ever be a converter to go from Jcink -> MyBB provided by us.

I believe there are already ones out there but I can't speak to that.

The converter we wrote goes from MyBB -> Jcink only.

signature
#
John, just a quick question. Will you still convert IB databases a bit after the IB deadline? The founder of one of the communities I'm in is on vacation and doesn't know exactly when he's coming back, so we can't really send the database now

This post has been edited by Dust: Yesterday at 10:03 am
PM
#
I'll do them after the IB deadline but:

1. Avatars won't be converted, as we download and save them from IB during conversion

2. There will be a significant delay in processing them, so I set a "hard deadline." I begin a week vacation after the deadline. This doesn't mean I won't be around (I cannot fully 'unplug' for obvious reasons). But it means I won't be able to coordinate conversions so easily either. I'll update the wording, though..

Have them give me a message whenever they can. Doing these conversions has gotten a lot easier after doign so many of them now

Once IB is shutdown, I'll close this thread and then write up a page regarding a MyBB conversion process when I have the time as well, since we can now convert MyBB 1.x boards as mentioned earlier. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

signature
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (6) « First ... 4 5 6  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll