Pages: (72) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

HTML Templates / Custom Forum Templates
#
I heard you mention previously that you wanted to make a converter that would convert current CFS into the HTML templates for skins. Is this still something you plan to do with the development?

Yes. The conversion would be relatively passive. So you could paste a template in the Admin CP, save it, and it would just detect it and convert the CFS variables over to ours. This will also be useful for people who are just used to using CFS vars.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Sometimes, I really wish I could Like/Love a post here on JCink. Yours is one of them. I'm super stoked to see this getting implemented and am definitely looking forward to putting it to good use!
#
Dev log for the day, made the "Create new template based on" function actually work. Added "board stats" to the template list to edit. Created a way to edit a template's name. This is mainly really boring work and nothing to write home about; just showing that I'm working on it.

The most tedious aspects will be putting together all of the variables and testing things thoroughly. For now I'm just focused on making the module in the Admin CP 100% up to the task.

(These are two screenshots in one, btw, all of this is not on one page)

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
#
QUOTE (xexes @ Apr 4 2016, 04:57 PM)
...will there be some way to differentiate if a user is logged in or not and/or use a different template for that area like MyBB? This would mean that LogIn/Register would be removed for logged in users and replaced with UCP, etc links. If it's not available, there's going to be a rush for javascript DOM that does this.

So, this is not what you're asking for, but here's a work-around I use for similar results. I replace:

<body>

With:

<body id="ID<!-- |g_id| -->">

Then I code the site the way I want it to look for logged in members, and go in and recode it for guests when I'm done. You just put #ID2 in front of whatever CSS you want to use just for guest accounts. You probably already know about this method, I just figured I'd offer it posterity.

signature
#
Yep, most are using css for situations like that and it works pretty well (no need for js). However, I would still like to have some basic conditional syntax. If it's crazy complicated to implement <if x then> </if> then I'll scrap the idea for the moment / make it experimental. I would really like to see such things though in the wrappers as well as the templates, so it's on my mind.

signature
#
QUOTE (Miss Amy @ Apr 4 2016, 05:49 PM)
Yay!! So much yay! I'm so glad to hear this is going into effect soon.

I heard you mention previously that you wanted to make a converter that would convert current CFS into the HTML templates for skins. Is this still something you plan to do with the development?

Yes within reason this is still planned on being accomplished but it will take some looking into to determine if it will be able to be done effectively first. If so then that is intended to still be done if there are too many complications then it may not.

signature

user posted image
DeviantArt | Email: crystal@jcink.com | Blog: Seriously Lacqueing

user posted image user posted image user posted image
RPG-Resources
List your forum in our Directory today!
#
There might be some variables or elements that won't translate fully. I'm aiming for as much compatibility as possible, if not 100%.

For example:

CODE

$customIndex = array('{{forumMarker}}'  =>'<!-- |img_new_post| -->',
       '{{forumTitle}}'   =>'<!-- |name_url| -->',
       '{{forumViewing}}' =>'<!-- |viewing_forum| -->',
       '{{forumId}}'   =>'<!-- |id| --> ',
       );

Use of those strings will automatically swap it to its JFH version. This is what I have so far. Just so everyone can see how this will work. It's basically simple replacements - as long as the variable is there of course, and if one needs created I will see about doing it.

signature
#
This is fabulous, you're fabulous, I am ecstatic to see this developed.

signature
"Trust me, I'm a doctor."
user posted image
PM
#
QUOTE (John @ Apr 4 2016, 11:21 PM)
This is mainly really boring work and nothing to write home about; just showing that I'm working on it.

Glad to see the updates

QUOTE (John @ Apr 5 2016, 12:27 PM)
CODE
$customIndex = array('{{forumMarker}}'  =>'<!-- |img_new_post| -->',
      '{{forumTitle}}'   =>'<!-- |name_url| -->',
      '{{forumViewing}}' =>'<!-- |viewing_forum| -->',
      [b]'{{forumId}}'   =>'<!-- |id| --> '[/b],
      );

This makes me think that someone who wanted to could do individual designs for each forum row? Is that the case or is that variable just for creating links to the various forums

signature
user posted image
#
Those are variable aliases.

{{forumTitle}} is a CFS variable. It will reference our own <!-- |name_url| --> when used. I'll be expanding this list as development continues.

http://jcink.com/main/wiki/jfh-html-templates

If you wanted to, you could have individual designs for each forum row using javascript. There are a couple of clever and clean ways to do this. Though that is a different topic for discussion.

signature
#
QUOTE (John @ Apr 9 2016, 11:43 AM)
Those are variable aliases.

{{forumTitle}} is a CFS variable. It will reference our own <!-- |name_url| --> when used. I'll be expanding this list as development continues.

http://jcink.com/main/wiki/jfh-html-templates

If you wanted to, you could have individual designs for each forum row using javascript. There are a couple of clever and clean ways to do this. Though that is a different topic for discussion.

That sounds good. I can finally replace (and by that I mean Gun can finally replace) the current forum template thing in Shift UI. Just one thing with the variables though:

Can you change <!-- |posts| --> to <!-- |replies| --> and turn <!-- |posts| --> Into something that adds Topics and Replies together?

signature
user posted image
#
Sure why not. The variable listing won't be finalized until after beta testing is over, so I am planning on having to change and add variables anyway. Whatever you see me do is not necessarily set in stone. Those variables were largely pulled from the system itself.

signature
#
QUOTE (John @ Apr 9 2016, 11:55 AM)
Sure why not. The variable listing won't be finalized until after beta testing is over, so I am planning on having to change and add variables anyway. Whatever you see me do is not necessarily set in stone. Those variables were largely pulled from the system itself.

Thanks. Currently I have to do it where it is {topics - - replies} for Shift's system to get topics and posts to add together and even then I can't use a comma to separate big numbers. This will hopefully fix that.

This post has been edited by GMaster479: Apr 9 2016, 01:15 PM

signature
user posted image
#
I've mentioned that I cannot wait for this ... I really can't! I've struggled with trying to understand how Black's CFS works, so I'm really hoping this isn't as big of a struggle for me.
PM
#
I don't know if it's going to be easier to understand per say -- you're still going to need to learn how to work with variables (not hard). But by not having to deal with the javascript and with clearly defined sections in the Admin CP for each template, it obviously helps a lot. And you'll be able to use line breaks to make the code look cleaner, and won't have to do any escaping, which is always a plus.

It's always smoother and easier to use when something like this is just integrated. Just understand how variables work and you're good to go.

signature
1 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: Ghost
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (72) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll