Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Stalking Banned Former Member
#
Hello.

I have a jcinks premium forum for about 4 years now. Never had a problem until recently. A member joined the site, and began to display really creepy stalking behavior with a handful of our other members. They picked fights, started drama, and even after theses members nicely told them to back off a little, they never did. Just about every weekend we had some sort of mess to clean up. We eventually had to ban this member. We banned IP from chat boxes and forum.

2 weeks later they used a proxy IP to join again, PM and stalk the same members. We deleted the account and banned the proxy.

On the 28th of last month they posted all over social media that they, and I quote "Would never join the site again for the sake of my own sanity" 20 minutes later....they rejoined the site under a proxy.

They have rejoined the site once again 2 days ago pretending to be a new member.

They will not stop. They will not go away.

We have had to make our chat boxes private (they have just joined the chat as Anon), we've blocked proxies from joining the site. (They somehow find a way back in pretending to just be a new member)

I have screencaps and logs of all this. I really don't know what else to do but try and get support from jcinks and stop this person from doing this to more sites.

They have made their own forum, and joined at least one other that I know of. They also joined a site that had to close because they did the same thing to that site as well, many of their members have left because of the stalking.

Please help. Is there anything I can do to stop this member for obsessively stalking the site? I do not want to lose a site I have had for 4 years over this, knowing she will just go do it to someone else.

This post has been edited by elladee: Feb 11 2018, 01:32 PM
PM
#
This is age-old problem with the internet, IPs are just not a way to ban anyone permanently and there's essentially nothing you can do about someone who is persistent except to take a proactive approach rather than reactive. It's not hard to get back on any site by going to a coffee shop, school, or elsewhere. Proxies aren't necessary.

You can do one of the following to put a hard stop to a banned member whom you believe is creating new accounts and it'll put a hard stop to it right now:

1. Disable new registrations entirely for a while (extreme)
2. Enable admin validation of new accounts and heavily scrutinize each new account. (recommended)

#2, with diligence, will keep them out.

If you know her name and details contact her Internet Service Provider, but it probably won't do much good. You'll likely need to obain a court order against them, and that may not even be possible depending on location. You will also need absolute proof that they are the one creating new accounts as the ISP will demand it -- screenshots, if they are the only proof, won't suffice.

They will not stop. They will not go away.

Yes, they will -- I have been dealing with issues like this over the years for almost 2 decades at this point. It'll just take perseverance and time.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I would hopefully not want to take this to court, but I also have in a chatzy where she has admitted she is the one who signed up the same day the Twitter flaming took place. So I have that log readily available by link. She posted on it just a couple of days ago begging more to come back (again admitting she rejojned after being banned). I also have the emails that has been sent to her...and our site logs PMs so I still have all of that.

I lack the money to actually take her to court, but I have more than enough to prove she is a problem for not only my site.

Anyway, thank you for your time and help. It is very much appreciated, and I will do whatever I have to.
PM
#
I lack the money to actually take her to court, but I have more than enough to prove she is a problem for not only my site.

Most don't -- and even for those who do, it often isn't worth trying to litigate something like this. One thing to consider as well, are they in a different country than you. That is another factor that will make it harder to handle legally.

Be careful as well if/when you file a report to their ISP. All of it must be truthful and the facts. It is very hard to get an internet service provider to disconnect someone or issue them a warning.

We still recommend the more proactive approach regardless. Either locking registration down hard for a while or doing manual validation. You've already taken the initiative to make the cbox private, which is good. Yes, it will stop legitimate new members from being able to sign up easily, but it also stops all of this without you needing to monitor the forum 24/7 to ensure they haven't come back on.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll