Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Alert pop-ups not working
#
No idea what's going on. I don't have my alert pop-ups turned on but members are telling me theirs aren't working, and they have their settings checked.

http://fullstars.jcink.net/

This post has been edited by kelizabethn: Oct 23 2016, 05:05 PM
PM
#
Please link to your board.

signature
Kindly do not contact me on Discord or PM me for support.

user posted image
#
whoops
PM
#
Looks like your board doesn't have the pop up functionality present - the quick link goes straight to the UCP page.
PM
#
Ok... I don't know what that means, lol.
PM
#
It means that the pop ups are not functioning as expected because they are not being included in your wrappers.

Give this thread a once over:
http://forum.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=26343&hl=
PM
#
I've read that thread multiple times and it doesn't really answer my question. I didn't code the skin so I'm afraid I'm not that advanced as far as coding is concerned. Basically I just need to figure out what to put in my wrappers and where.
PM
#
In fact, it does: It details everything you need to do in order to add the alert pop up on click. In particular, this post: http://forum.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic...ndpost&p=192978

To reiterate:

In the element .side-top .m-<!-- |g_id| --> you have (roughly) the following markup to display the link to the alerts control panel:
CODE
<div class="quick-link">
<a href="index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=alerts">alerts (<!-- |new_alerts| -->)</a>
</div>

Per the linked thread, this needs to be changed to:
CODE
<div class="quick-link">
<a onClick="load_alerts();">alerts (<!-- |new_alerts| -->)</a>
</div>

And immediately followed by:
CODE
<div style="display: none;" id="recent-alerts">
<div class="tableborder">
<div class="pformstrip"> Recent Alerts <div style="float: right;"><a href="javascript:document.getElementById('recent-alerts').style.display='none';void(0);">[x]</a></div></div>
 <span id="recent-alerts-data"></span>
 <div style="text-align: center;" class="pformstrip">
  <a title="View All Alerts" href="http://forum.jcink.com/index.php?act=UserCP&amp;CODE=alerts">View All Alerts</a> · <a title="Mark All Read" href="javascript:read_alerts();">Mark All Read</a>
 </div>
</div>
</div>

Depending on existing CSS, you may need to adjust the appearance and positioning of the pop up box. To selectively target it, preface your CSS selectors with the #recent-alerts ID.

This post has been edited by DustBucket: Oct 28 2016, 01:10 PM
PM
#
It still isn't working.
And it made it so that you couldn't click on alerts, so I changed it back.
PM
#
For the interim, you can move the onclick attribute to the quicklink div and preserve the link's functionality while testing.

user posted image

Is this setting in General Configuration enabled?

This post has been edited by DustBucket: Oct 28 2016, 03:06 PM
PM
#
Yes.
PM
#
Then hopefully John knows why you are missing the alerts script.

In the mean time, replace the alerts quick link with the following:
CODE
<div class="quick-link">
<a onClick="load_alerts();" class="alerts-indicator">alerts (<!-- |new_alerts| --> )</a>
</div>
<div style="display: none;" id="recent-alerts">
<div class="tableborder">
<div class="pformstrip"> Recent Alerts <div style="float: right;"><a href="javascript:document.getElementById('recent-alerts').style.display='none';void(0);">[x]</a></div></div>
<span id="recent-alerts-data"></span>
<div style="text-align: center;" class="pformstrip">
 <a title="View All Alerts" href="http://forum.jcink.com/index.php?act=UserCP&amp;CODE=alerts">View All Alerts</a> · <a title="Mark All Read" href="javascript:read_alerts();">Mark All Read</a>
</div>
</div>
</div>

And add this script to the footer:
CODE
function read_alerts() {
$('#recent-alerts').slideToggle('slow');
$.get( "index.php?recent_alerts=1&read=1", function( data ) {
 $( "#recent_alerts_data" ).html( data );
});
$( ".alerts-indicator" ).html( "Alerts (0)");
}

function load_alerts() {

alert_link = $('.alerts-indicator').position().left-350;

$('#recent-alerts').css({
  left: alert_link + "px",
 });

if($('#recent-alerts').is(':visible')) {
  $('#recent-alerts').slideToggle('slow');
 } else {
  $.get( "index.php?recent_alerts=1", function( data ) {
   $( "#recent-alerts-data" ).html( data );
  });
  $("#recent-alerts").slideToggle('slow');
 }
}

This post has been edited by DustBucket: Nov 3 2016, 06:16 PM
PM
#
I added that but it made the alerts bar unclickable again so I've taken it back out.
John, any advice?
PM
#
It's very difficult to help you if you remove the apparently offending codes, as we cannot diagnose issues from nothing. The alerts button cannot expand the pop up and bring you to the alerts page simultaneously - this would eliminate the entire purpose of the alerts pop up.
PM
#
My site is currently open, so if the button isn't working, I need to fix it so that it will. People still need to be able to get to the alerts page for now and since these suggestions haven't worked for me, I've changed it back, because it will be an even bigger issue if it's just an unhelpful mess that doesn't allow you to see your alerts at all.

I think we'll just stick with how it is until our skin changes. This can be closed.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll