Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Automate one aspect of your forum's managamement
#
If you could automate one aspect of your forum managamement, what would it be?

What's something that you do manually that you wish you could have fully or partially automated?

Keep this topic "realistic" -- obviously a skin/theme is a lot of work, but that will never design itself. Mainly, what tasks do you complete regularly that you wish could perhaps have an in-built automated system to help you handle it?

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
This is probably going to be WAY too specific for anyone else to use but my members and I were just discussing the idea of having a way to automate certain parts of our mafia games. The topic in question talks about getting things to be automated for our games, but maybe there would be a way to write scripts for automated apps or forms or something like that for character posts or something. Sorry I'm not too specific

signature
user posted image
#
    Member Group Totals: A variable that outputs how many are in a usergroup (which you can see in the Admin CP area, but not on the main forum). That way if designing a skin where you want to show how many are in what group, you simply add the variable and it shows globally.

Custom Field Display: A way to create in pages if someone puts something in a custom field, it will show up in a webpage. So if I make a list of like, location, I can put in a variable for the member's name (like <!-- |name| -->) and when a variable like <!-- |field_3| --> is filled, it will display alongside it. So if their name is Juno, it will display Arizona as their location if they put that in field_3. This would also help RP people because it could automate like face claim lists, etc. based on fields.

IB Shop Transfers: If you can create custom assigned points. Like instead of just automatically giving points for new topics, new replies, new polls, etc., you can create a custom task such as Posted 20 IC posts and they can click on if they want to claim it. Then we can check a log to see what tasks peopl claimed or whatever. This is by a trust-based system because it would simply be a [Claim] button or something for the user and not actually have an assigned task (like how it checks if you created a topic, then gives you the points). That would be too complicated to actually give it a task like that.

Mass Topic Multi-Moderation: They have this on MyBB, but instead of having to go into each topic and apply a multimod that way, you can select with the checkboxes on the topic list view and assign multimods en masse.

Skin Template Deletion: When you delete a skin, you get a checkbox that asks if you want to also delete the attached wrappers, CSS, macros, and now html templates.

Those are just a few off the top of my head (some of which I'm almost certain wouldn't be plausible right now or in the future), but they are what immediately pops into my head.
PM
#
Even if it's genre specific, that's cool. I just want to hear about what you guys dream of being automated.

signature
#
i don't even know if this would be possible tbh, but i'd love a tool to identify forum members that have one specific award. that way it'd be much easier to change award images if we'd like to do that --- my forum is running for almost 2 years and sometimes we (the forum staff) think abt changing some award images but we have too many members and... it's difficult. a tool to at least recognize the awards by name would be cool, though i have no idea of how it would be possible ): just a thought.
PM
#
I should say; don't worry so much about whether things are possible or not to be automated as a feature, as this isn't a feature suggestion topic. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif I'm just basically taking a survey here.

signature
#
1. Site "Claims" - This is probably going to be a RP site thing more than anything, but I think this sort of feature would continue to make Jcink stand out in the minds of RPers.

Essentially, we make "claims" to list certain things already being used on sites. The most popular of which are "face claims" which identify the person and / or art being used to portray a character. Other types of claims are lists of characters a person is playing, list of jobs already taken by characters, lists of characters in a group etc. Here's an example of how I use them. I see RPers angst about maintaining claims so, so much.

I think the best way to do this would be to let us use custom field outputs in webpages, or let staff use them in certain threads. It would also be helpful if we could check somewhere the last time a field was update / or have access to backlogs, just in the case where someone tries to claim a claim that's already been claimed. ...if that makes any sense. xD

2. Posting Forms - I think this would appeal mostly to RP sites, but might also be used elsewhere. I think these have been brought up before, but essentially it would be the ability to add new sections to posts other than topic title / description. I think it would work best if it could be set per forum (or even better, per topic, though I'm not sure how that could work - maybe have the option to use sections set for that forum or not can be set by the topic starter) and if we could have control over whether or not each section was optional. An example of what I'm talking about that could be used in a RP or otherwise would be a place where you could input when you were expect back in a MIA thread. If this could be tied into future posting templates that would be rad, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

3. Awards - I think this would be just as popular on RP sites as elsewhere. Post over x amount of posts? Have an award. Been registered for x amount of time? Have an award. Post in a specific event? Here's your award. This would be even better if it could be altered per membergroup, but even if it wasn't it would be really handy.

4. The ability for staff members to queue updates would be so, so, so helpful. I'll keep it brief because I know you considered this before, but I think it would be well received.

5. Usergroup inactivity - probably helpful for forums of all types. Basically, it would be awesome if I could make it so that if a certain usergroup hasn't logged in for x amount of days they get moved to an archived usergroup. Even better if there was some way for the archived usergroup to be able to move themselves back out, as per the admin's settings. This would be even better if it could interact with suggestion #1 - like if there was a class around each field dependent on the usergroup of the person who it belongs to, so we can hide claims that belong to archived members or something.

Sorry for the volume of suggestions, hopefully it's some helpful fodder.

This post has been edited by owl: Jun 13 2016, 03:53 PM

signature
#
Thanks, interesting info especially #1 which I actually understand from working with Crystal.

signature
#
No problem, I'm glad it's helpful. While I'm here I'll just throw this one in:

6. Dice rolls - I don't really use this feature as much, but I'm speaking for a lot of the stat-based RP community when I say that I think people would like a place where they could have rolls be more automated / separated from the post (maybe even using posting forms) so that members can't edit their rolls but can still edit their posts.

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up.

This post has been edited by owl: Jun 13 2016, 03:58 PM

signature
#
QUOTE (owl @ Jun 13 2016, 03:51 PM)
1. Site "Claims" - This is probably going to be a RP site thing more than anything, but I think this sort of feature would continue to make Jcink stand out in the minds of RPers.

Essentially, we make "claims" to list certain things already being used on sites. The most popular of which are "face claims" which identify the person and / or art being used to portray a character. Other types of claims are lists of characters a person is playing, list of jobs already taken by characters, lists of characters in a group etc. Here's an example of how I use them. I see RPers angst about maintaining claims so, so much.

I think the best way to do this would be to let us use custom field outputs in webpages, or let staff use them in certain threads. It would also be helpful if we could check somewhere the last time a field was update / or have access to backlogs, just in the case where someone tries to claim a claim that's already been claimed. ...if that makes any sense. xD

2. Posting Forms - I think this would appeal mostly to RP sites, but might also be used elsewhere. I think these have been brought up before, but essentially it would be the ability to add new sections to posts other than topic title / description. I think it would work best if it could be set per forum (or even better, per topic, though I'm not sure how that could work - maybe have the option to use sections set for that forum or not can be set by the topic starter) and if we could have control over whether or not each section was optional. An example of what I'm talking about that could be used in a RP or otherwise would be a place where you could input when you were expect back in a MIA thread. If this could be tied into future posting templates that would be rad, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

3. Awards - I think this would be just as popular on RP sites as elsewhere. Post over x amount of posts? Have an award. Been registered for x amount of time? Have an award. Post in a specific event? Here's your award. This would be even better if it could be altered per membergroup, but even if it wasn't it would be really handy.

4. The ability for staff members to queue updates would be so, so, so helpful. I'll keep it brief because I know you considered this before, but I think it would be well received.

5. Usergroup inactivity - probably helpful for forums of all types. Basically, it would be awesome if I could make it so that if a certain usergroup hasn't logged in for x amount of days they get moved to an archived usergroup. Even better if there was some way for the archived usergroup to be able to move themselves back out, as per the admin's settings. This would be even better if it could interact with suggestion #1 - like if there was a class around each field dependent on the usergroup of the person who it belongs to, so we can hide claims that belong to archived members or something.

Sorry for the volume of suggestions, hopefully it's some helpful fodder.

I am very good with all of these. Both 1 and 2 speak to things I was hoping to do with my mafia site. Posting forms and custom field outputs in posts might be what I am looking for. 3 is just an awesome upgrade to the already difficult to work with award system. 4 and 5 and 6 are nice too.

signature
user posted image
#
I agree with a lot of the previously mentioned ones, owls are great suggestions and multiplicity too.

The member group totals would be great, as long as we can pick and choose which show on the coding/board index automatically. If groups overlap or we have a group of characters who aren't currently being played (shelved or frozen) but will hopefully back in the future, we might not want those on display, I'd rather use displayed member group totals for showing the difference in numbers between character ages or two species or gender or how many coders there are vs graphics artists than who is being played and who isn't. Depending of course on the groups but just the ones that would make a difference with new people picking which group to fit their account into.

Being able to include custom profile fields into posts would be AMAZING if we could write them anywhere. It means we could use them in coding like we can in mini profiles and they could edit themselves when we edit links etc. Eg. if you have custom fields with links to plotters and trackers they can change in a lot of thread trackers and we can put our IBstore points on display elsewhere. Maybe they'd work as their own BBCodes?

and being able to edit dice roll posts would be really useful.

I really like the idea of more automatic member awards too.

But I really think that one big thing I'd REALLY like to improve about the award system is that we could search for who has an award, and award awards in mass by updating the award rather than member by member. It'd be great if there was a place for existing awards in the admin CP where we can edit the award, the image for it, the name etc, and just add another username to who has it without having to find the image every time and then adding that to one box, the title exactly the same as already awarded ones to another box, and then the username too. It'd be really useful for image changes and rehosting pics etc. as well as saving time if you're awarding to many members.

And another not previously mentioned one - I'd really like to be able to ONLY accept avatars of the right size for the coding. I get that auto-resizing is an option, which might be fine for some (as well as having multiple size options would be alright for others), but it can be really ugly and it causes a lottttt of hassle on rp sites when someone doesn't read the rules or doesn't know how to check the size to be able to upload graphics of the wrong size in the first place. It really sucks being the bad guy on a site about writing to tell members over and over that their avatar is the wrong size for the site rules. A tick box for 'accept exact size only' in the admin CP, an error message for members and a little coding to make it work would be ideal and HOPEFULLY simple but I don't know if it is simple for the coder.

To be able to put a maximum width on signature images would be good too, even though that wont control height, it'd be really helpful start to stop the board stretching, just like how you can make images shrink in posts. Since graphics can make a site look good or bad, it'd be nice to have a little control over the sizes without having to get under the member's feet every time they upload something of the wrong size. However, if this would just come up with that reduced-size image thing with the black line around it rather than stopping images wider than it from being uploaded then it probably wouldn't look that much better this way and this could probably be ignored.

Thanks for reading! http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

signature
user posted image
PM
#
QUOTE (TheTrueMe @ Jun 13 2016, 11:50 PM)
...To be able to put a maximum width on signature images would be good too, even though that wont control height, it'd be really helpful start to stop the board stretching, just like how you can make images shrink in posts. Since graphics can make a site look good or bad, it'd be nice to have a little control over the sizes without having to get under the member's feet every time they upload something of the wrong size. However, if this would just come up with that reduced-size image thing with the black line around it rather than stopping images wider than it from being uploaded then it probably wouldn't look that much better this way and this could probably be ignored.

Thanks for reading! http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Try adding this to your CSS:

.signature img {max-width: 550px!important; height: auto!important}

Should do that for you - edit where it says "550px" if you want signatures to be permitted that are larger than that.

signature
#
Literally everything owl suggested is what I would suggest. STOP READING MY MIND owl, GAWD!

This post has been edited by Delphi: Jun 14 2016, 07:20 AM

signature
user posted image
Brent Weeks AU // Modern Fantasy
#
Would like the amount of topics views on topic page implemented, and a "frontpage topics" plugin, where we can feature important topics to frontpage..,like that of SMF.

signature
user posted image
#
QUOTE (multiplicity! @ Jun 13 2016, 11:22 AM)
[LIST]Member Group Totals: A variable that outputs how many are in a usergroup (which you can see in the Admin CP area, but not on the main forum). That way if designing a skin where you want to show how many are in what group, you simply add the variable and it shows globally.

Custom Field Display: A way to create in pages if someone puts something in a custom field, it will show up in a webpage. So if I make a list of like, location, I can put in a variable for the member's name (like <!-- |name| -->) and when a variable like <!-- |field_3| --> is filled, it will display alongside it. So if their name is Juno, it will display Arizona as their location if they put that in field_3. This would also help RP people because it could automate like face claim lists, etc. based on fields.

I agree with these two soo much.

I wonder if the CFs if that could work just by specifying user# but that would be neat if people could just be like #3 |name| or some short code and it rendered as <!-- |name| -->
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 3  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll