Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Something Weird with PM System
#
I realized that my post came off impatient and that was not my intention. I know it's the holidays, and I'm busy myself, so I don't mind waiting longer before I have to go to the lengths suggested above. I'm totally willing to wait longer if that's what it takes. I guess I was just more wondering about a time frame, but ultimately if it looks like a solution can't be found I'll probably have to go the suggested route or. . . try a crash course in creating a userlink bar(I saw something with fontawesome thingies that looked cool if only I could find some historical/medieval type feel things lol), but that'll definitely have to be in the start of next year and not now.

Again sorry if I came off impatient, I really do appreciate all the help and the time you offer in figuring this out.
PM
#
Still happening so just going to give it a little bump. Really hoping I don't have to take a crash course in coding a userlinks menu to replace this one lol
PM
#
Would helping you figure out how to code a new topbar work, maybe? There should be a pretty easy way to do this that's only CSS / HTML. How many different 'versions' of the top-bar do you need? I'm guessing three (guests, members, staff) but let me know if it's more than that.

signature
user posted image

Please do not use my site Discord / DM / PM me for support.
#
While it's always preferable to not rely on JS for things that can be coded properly, you could also just scoop up all the anchors inside #userlinks and append them to your new bar. They just don't have ID attributes anymore, for some reason.

CODE
$('#userlinks a').appendTo('.userlinks1')

got me this:
user posted image
PM
#
QUOTE (Dusty @ Jan 11 2018, 02:54 AM)
While it's always preferable to not rely on JS for things that can be coded properly, you could also just scoop up all the anchors inside #userlinks and append them to your new bar. They just don't have ID attributes anymore, for some reason.

CODE
$('#userlinks a').appendTo('.userlinks1')

got me this:
user posted image

What do you mean they don't have ID Attributes? How could they just. . . vanish? *headscratch*

QUOTE (owl @ Jan 10 2018, 08:38 PM)
Would helping you figure out how to code a new topbar work, maybe? There should be a pretty easy way to do this that's only CSS / HTML. How many different 'versions' of the top-bar do you need? I'm guessing three (guests, members, staff) but let me know if it's more than that.

This is looking like that's the case. And helping me figure that out would be great. I'm not sure what you mean by versions? But guest, members, staff seem reasonable. All I know is this came about around the time I turned off PMs for In-Character Account groups. Only pending, certified, and dormant members(which are all OoC account related) have PM use besides Staff accounts.

I was looking at a possible topbar tut to try that uses something called font awesome, but honestly it freaked me out and not sure I'm ready to tackle that on my own, and my members have been dealing with this issue for awhile so I'd just rather sort it out than make them wait longer as I try to find appropriate font icon things to fit the look of the board & code a topbar lol

Sorry for being such a pain, ya'll. I'm not even sure what happened or if I did it or if it was a coincidence at this point.
PM
#
So! This is an incredibly bare bones tutorial on how to create a custom userlink set for your site - it doesn't include any of the content or the styling (since that's where the customization comes in) but does include the required structure. In all likeliness this project requires basic understanding of HTML / CSS to complete, but I'm happy to help where I can either way.

Here is the basic HTML you will need. My advice is to simply add it to a webpage so you can work on your customization without worrying about effecting the rest of the site, and then when you have it how you want it you can just plop the webpage down in the wrappers easy as that.

CODE
<div id="custom-userlinks staff<!-- |is_mod| --> staff<!-- |g_access_cp| -->">

<div id="userlinks-guest" class="userlinks-style"> Content you want for the GUEST userbar here </div>

<div id="userlinks-member" class="userlinks-style"> Content you want for the MEMBER userbar here </div>

<div id="userlinks-staff" class="userlinks-style"> Content you want for the STAFF here </div>

</div>

Then add this to the bottom of your CSS. Since this works best with a consistent height I went ahead and added '50px' as a placeholder but it can be changed to whatever works best for you.

CODE
/* BASIC STRUCTURE DEFINED */

#custom-userlinks, .userlinks-style {height: 50px; overflow: hidden; display: block}

/* MEMBERS VIEW IS DEFAULT */

#userlinks-guest, #userlinks-staff {display: none}

/* GUESTS ONLY SEE GUEST LINKS */

#ID2 #userlinks-guest {display: block}
#ID2 #userlinks-member {display: none}

/* STAFF VIEW FOR ADMINS */

.staff1 #userlinks-staff {display: block}
.staff1 #userlinks-member {display: none}

However, to make this CSS behave you're going to have to get into your board wrappers and find this:

<body>

Replace it with:

<body ID="<!-- |input_act| -->">

Let me know if there are any errors or anything - I did code this cold, so it's a possibility but theoretically it should work because it's based on the same logic I used to code the userlinks on my site.

This post has been edited by owl: Jan 12 2018, 02:38 AM

signature
user posted image

Please do not use my site Discord / DM / PM me for support.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll