Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Awards Utilities
#
QUOTE (Dusty @ May 16 2017, 12:29 PM)
Thanks! The multi-award thingy-do was actually my first foray into JQuery, so it was equal parts fun and frustrating.

Setting up a repo would be neat, but I don't know if it's really needed? Not to say that my code doesn't have bugs because OH BOY does it, but it's more of an addon than anything -- like, CFS was completely justified in having a repo because it was huge and complex, but this? :/

As an aside: Just noticed that the multi-award was still using a user-filled hostname, so that's gone at least.

Well, I make Github repositories for everything! Warranting a Github repository isn't necessarily based on size, complexity, or popularity—my personal metrics are "am I sharing this with other people?" and "should I be tracking my changes with Git commits?". (The answer to that last one should always be "yes!")

But it's based on your comfort level. Github syntax highlights your code and makes it easier for people to contribute and track issues.

I write a lot of plugins for A Certain Other Forum Software and use Github to track and present them. (:
PM
#
I have github too and I will put whatever I want on there. No matter how big or small whatever I want to share, if I think it's going to be useful to someone. Some of my own github repos are ridiculously small. You won't find any JFH code over there, though.

Not sure if you are looking for a career in programming or IT, but having a github with real world projects is an asset -- big or small.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
QUOTE (John @ May 16 2017, 12:57 PM)
I have github too and I will put whatever I want on there. No matter how big or small whatever I want to share, if I think it's going to be useful to someone. Some of my own github repos are ridiculously small. You won't find any JFH code over there.

Not sure if you are looking for a career in programming or IT, but having a github with real world projects is an asset -- big or small.

It's also crucial if you ever want to put your personal projects on your resume. (: And for the love of god, keep your READMEs updated, or else you're gonna have a bad time a year later when you're starting the job search and nothing is up to date.

Also kudos for the BFS PHP repo, John. I was just thinking about how I need some kind of search algorithm for a plugin I'm working on, so you helped me out there. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif
PM
#
QUOTE (klin @ May 16 2017, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (Dusty @ May 16 2017, 12:29 PM)
Thanks! The multi-award thingy-do was actually my first foray into JQuery, so it was equal parts fun and frustrating.

Setting up a repo would be neat, but I don't know if it's really needed? Not to say that my code doesn't have bugs because OH BOY does it, but it's more of an addon than anything -- like, CFS was completely justified in having a repo because it was huge and complex, but this? :/

As an aside: Just noticed that the multi-award was still using a user-filled hostname, so that's gone at least.

Well, I make Github repositories for everything! Warranting a Github repository isn't necessarily based on size, complexity, or popularity—my personal metrics are "am I sharing this with other people?" and "should I be tracking my changes with Git commits?". (The answer to that last one should always be "yes!")

But it's based on your comfort level. Github syntax highlights your code and makes it easier for people to contribute and track issues.

I write a lot of plugins for A Certain Other Forum Software and use Github to track and present them. (:

Bossy bossy bossy :b Kidding! I've created a GitHub for them and edited the OP.

QUOTE (John @ May 16 2017, 12:57 PM)
I have github too and I will put whatever I want on there. No matter how big or small whatever I want to share, if I think it's going to be useful to someone. Some of my own github repos are ridiculously small. You won't find any JFH code over there, though.

Thankfully the world will never have to bear with my programming on a larger basis - I'm a chemical engineer. They just have to deal with bad science, which is totally way less concerning, right?
PM
#
I might just be kind of dumb when it comes to this, but I'm not quite sure how to install it? I seem to have it set up correctly, but nothing happens when I hit the login button and I get an error when I try to add awards. Any help would be great!

Dusty
PM
#
Nahh you're no dummy, it's probably just something small. If nothing at all happens when you hit login, you're likely missing either the JQuery library, or some small typo snuck through. Can you post a link to the page it's hosted on?

This post has been edited by Dusty: May 16 2017, 08:33 PM
PM
#
Here! I really have zero knowledge of scripts/JQuery, so there's definitely the possibly that I'm just missing something.
PM
#
Done! Thanks for catching that mistake, guess that's what happens when you upload without testing :b Grab the updated source from GitHub Natalie

This post has been edited by Dusty: May 16 2017, 09:04 PM
PM
#
Ah, thank you! Works perfectly now.
PM
#
GitHub can host the files by using the raw link that way you don't over load the servers. You can even fork the code and edit it. This is a really cool code you made Dusty http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

signature
user posted image
#
Thanks! I'm still learning about GitHub, it's a neat thing. I'm also debating doing an external link for the jquery in the markup so that I can keep things updated without people having to constantly redownload the thingy
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll