Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Member Cannot Register or Post [SOLVED]
#
Good Evening Everyone,

I have a member who is unable to register or make any posts on this board. We have tried a multitude of items to remedy the situation with no solution (see below), but found that nothing has worked. This investigation has led me to believe that the IP address has been marked as spam. I went into ACP > Users and Groups > Ban Control and found no blocked IP addresses. I then went into ACP > System Settings > Security & Privacy and set "Disable anti-spam checker on new member registrations?" to "Yes". The member was still unable to do any of the listed activities. I am unsure of what to do at this point given that I cannot unblock their IP address. The IP address of this member is 66.193.242.56 and most likely tied to a large university server.

It should be noted that the account "Kate" was created by myself, so the IP address does not correlate with the given one. It was created with an e-mail provided by the member in question.

1. Upon registering under the name "Kate", the member received a confirmation message on their screen and the logged in name said "Kate"; however, no "Kate" appeared under the currently online, online today, or newest member list.

2. While logged in as "Kate", the member sent the root admin account a message which was never received.

3. The member logged out of "Kate" and tried to log back in, but the error message displayed that the account did not exist. Upon looking into the ACP, I also found that the account did not exist anywhere (validating or otherwise).

4. I, the root admin, created a "Kate" account and gave the password to this member. They attempted to login and were successful.

5. The member, now logged in as "Kate" attempted to post a new thread. This appeared on their screen, but was unable to be located on the board by checking the Recent Posts or Posts by this Member.

6. The member, now logged in as "Kate" attempted to post a reply in a pre-existing thread. This appeared on their screen, but was uanble to be located by the board by checking the thread in question, Recent Posts, or Posts by this Member.

7. I, the root admin, logged back into "Kate" and attempted to post a new thread. I was successful.

This post has been edited by BRITTNEY: Oct 19 2016, 12:20 AM
PM
#
66.193.242.56 is not blocked from the server or system. Had it been blocked she would not be able to access any part of the board at all.

5. The member, now logged in as "Kate" attempted to post a new thread. This appeared on their screen, but was unable to be located on the board by checking the Recent Posts or Posts by this Member.

What appeared?

7. I, the root admin, logged back into "Kate" and attempted to post a new thread. I was successful.

Ok.

At a glance, this tells me that the university and/or her computer are blocking cookies from jcink.com/jcink.net. It sounds like she is unable to maintain a logged in session. Or they are dropping packets and her requests are not fully completing, one or the other.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#

What appeared?

The member had the thread that they created appear on their screen. I, the root admin, could not find this post. When they left the page that they supposedly created, they could not re-access it.

If the university is blocking cookies from JCink, how would they go about circumventing this?

They have attempted to create a new account and are supposedly successful given that it says "logged in as MEMBER"; however, I do not see this account anywhere, even in the ACP. We are at a loss.

This post has been edited by BRITTNEY: Oct 19 2016, 12:11 AM
PM
#
What is the name of their new account?

signature
#
The new account name that they made is "Nyu".
PM
#
I figured out the problem.

http://winxclubtest.jcink.net/

Is this yours? Have a look at the online list... http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

signature
#
IT IS! This explains everything... they must have been using an old URL that we were conversing on. I apologize for the insanity!

Thank you so much, John (:
PM
#
No problem. After getting more information from you I had to ask what the username was so I could attempt to reference it. Nothing at all in your database.

Then I realized that a situation like this had happened before to someone else. So I had a strong feeling that the cbox was used on a test or other site.

Initially, it sounded like her connection was just dropping or she was having trouble staying logged in, but that was not the case.

signature
#
I'm glad that you were able to come up with a quick solution based on past experiences because I had no idea what was going on. It never even occurred to me to ask which URL they were using as I was only receiving pictures of the posts they were making - a URL wasn't visible. I am extremely sorry for causing any panic and have done some work to lock down my "test site" so this does not happen again.

Once again, thank you! You're a lifesaver as always!!
PM
#
user posted image

No problem or panic. I will mark this solved now.

signature
#
This topic has been solved. If you need anymore help please post a new thread. Thanks for choosing Jcink services.

signature
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

Options ClosedNew TopicNew Poll