Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

RPGs
#
Not really support so will just post here.

Can somebody please explain to me how to play RPGs on message boards?

I'm just curious because I've never done it before. I can't remember if it was this host or the last one I've used where I actually heard about using Message Boards for RPGs.

I can only imagine it can be complex? If somebody can explain this to me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif
PM
#
Wikipedia can give you a general idea of how it works but it is a fairly complex sub-culture of RP (that is, there's no way to explain it wherein you would have implicit understanding of it, just in one post). It varies widely between communities, but generally speaking it's collaborative writing where each writer has one (or several) character(s) that they exclusively control.

Generally (but not always) in forum RPing a thread = a scene, and an account = a character. It can get incredibly complex from there, and there are exceptions, but that's usually the basis it starts with.

You can poke around the site in my signature (though it's not an invitation to join, my site is more of an intermediate - advanced site, though there are sites our there that are set up to be beginner friendly) and if you look under the 'advertising' section (scroll to the bottom of the index) you can find other sites to look at that are a little more conventional.

signature
user posted image
#
It does look complex.

I gather if I ever became in playing one of these RPGs it would take me years go get the hang of it lol.
PM
#
It depends. Some communities are suited for beginners and happy to help people get their start. I've known people who picked it up in a few days, etc. It depends on how invested you are in it, and how willing you are to help yourself (since forum RPing is an online community there's plenty of online resources for people willing to dig a little bit).

If you have a local Comic Book shop you might be able to get into some table top RPing or something like that.

signature
user posted image
#
If you are working with stats, yeah, it can get complicated but honestly most RP sites have abandoned any kind of "stat" system because the reality is - not a lot of people enjoy the mathematics that involves the stats. The core of roleplaying is just writing a story with your partners where you each take part in writing a piece of the story.

signature
RP Genres I love: Historical Fiction, Arranged Marriage, Mutants (Xmen), Vampires, Anime (message for specific); Jcink/IF preference; your site fit this? Hit me up with a PM user posted image
Jcink Facebook Support Group

YA Book Feedback Wanted!
Survey, 100% Anonymous (Google Docs) Sexual Orientation!
*New*My Tumblr!</span>
Help me grow my pokemon user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
#
I've been doing forum RPing since I was in my early teens, and it took me like a day to get it figured out, so it isn't as complex as you might think.

signature
user posted image user posted image user posted image
#
If by message boards you mean forum sites Cronus, it is possibly the easiest thing you could imagine. I will say that in some cases there are boards that do make it incredibly complex, but for pure story writing, it is as easy as pie.

Just think of it as collaborative writing where two or more people are writing a novel. You set the scene, all of you have a plot in mind and away you go posting in turn from the perspective of your chosen character. 99.9% of RPG's today are done like this and always (most of the time) in 3rd person.
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll