Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Something Weird with PM System
#
Recently I decided to choose "no" for can use PM system on certain usergroups. Specifically the ones that character accounts get slotted beneath. This way PMs can only be sent between OoC accounts that have either the OoC usergroup(Certified Members or Dormant Members) or Staff and Mod Accounts or your account is listed under Pending Members. However, we recently discovered something odd. . . and after a little digging I realized it's a result of me having changed that PM system option to 'No'.

What happens is the stuff in the user panel along the top of our site disappears except for the person's account name, alerts, switch account(if they have a linked account), and mod CP(if they're listed as a mod of a forum). This means that logout, friends, my controls, and view new posts all just vanish. . .

And I can't figure out why? new messages/inbox disappearing I can understand. You can't PM or receive PM related notices so that makes sense. But why does logout, my friends, view new posts, and my controls vanish. . . and is there a way to fix this issue?

Here's a link to my board: SUtD. We have an account called test under the Pending Members group, but I don't recall the password. If you need access to it I can get you the password though.
PM
#
As an example, you should be seeing the following with PMs disabled:

Logged in as: John ( Log Out · Admin CP · Mod CP ) My Controls · View New Posts · Alerts (2)

Friends don't show up because that utilizes the PM system as well. So the main issue is that the log out link, my controls, and view new posts are gone.

It looks like you have a custom userlink panel.

We're going to need access to the test account to see what's going on.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Do I post the password here or PM it to you, John?
PM
#
If it is just a member account you can post it here. Others may provide input.

signature
#
Login: test
PW: jaNu2ruP

Right now the usergroup is set to Pending Members. This one has use of the PM System. Should I change it to one of the usergroups that has the PM System turned off which is the accounts where these options aren't displaying? Just let me know.
PM
#
Figured I've let this sit a bit and hit page 2 so I'd give it a bump. We're still having this issue.

However, I was also wondering as well if this could cause problems with our alert system? For example, our alerts show in a box that pops up when you click. In my experience when you click the little "x" instead of view alerts or mark all read the alerts still remain there so you can view them/clear them when ready. Except for months now I've noticed mine clear as soon as I close that box even though I've gone so far as to click the thing in my User CP/My Controls that will make it not clear even when I click view alerts unless I choose mark all read.

If this might be an unrelated issue, I can start a new topic, but I was just wondering given the strangeness going on right now.

This post has been edited by THE SONIC CENTURION: Oct 4 2017, 11:54 PM
PM
#
QUOTE (THE SONIC CENTURION @ Oct 1 2017, 10:32 PM)

Right now the usergroup is set to Pending Members. This one has use of the PM System. Should I change it to one of the usergroups that has the PM System turned off which is the accounts where these options aren't displaying? Just let me know.

Yes please, I just logged in and realized that the account was normal. Since you *are* using a custom navigation bar though that is where the issue is -- hopefully we can find it.

signature
#
QUOTE (John @ Oct 5 2017, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (THE SONIC CENTURION @ Oct 1 2017, 10:32 PM)

Yes please, I just logged in and realized that the account was normal. Since you *are* using a custom navigation bar though that is where the issue is -- hopefully we can find it.

Switched to one of the usergroups where this is an issue. =D
PM
#
So I got busy, and this kinda got forgotten, but I figured I'd bump it now cause. . . this is still an issue. It hasn't gone away on its own or fixed itself or anything of that nature. I really am baffled by it too.
PM
#
Sorry, I also have been very busy and simply haven't been able to look at this.

I checked into it and I think it partly comes down to this bit:

CODE
<script>$("#logged-in-as, #log-out, #admin-link, #modcp-link, #my-controls, #x-new-messages, #subacct_link, #log-in, #reg-link, #view-new-posts, #alerts-indicator, .alerts-indicator, #recent-alerts, #my-friends").appendTo(".userlinks1");</script>

There is a custom class .userlinks1, and when checking it, it is clear to me that the other links are NOT being added in by this part of the navbar script. I don't get why, though at all.

As a test, what happens if you change the above to just:

CODE
<script>$("#logged-in-as, #log-out, #admin-link, #modcp-link, #my-controls, #subacct_link, #log-in, #reg-link, #view-new-posts, #alerts-indicator, .alerts-indicator, #recent-alerts, #my-friends").appendTo(".userlinks1");</script>

Is the problem then fixed for users with no PMs? I'm curious because if it is then we can craft a solution, as the above will break it since I removed the line regarding the PM link...

signature
#
Nothing seemed to change, honestly. On my test forum the option for sub-accounts is gone under both my admin and member both go away as well. Is that supposed to happen? (note: this isn't a thing on the non-test site so. . . no idea. . . also notice there's no search bar on main site, but it's there on the test just seems to be in a weird spot???)

Note: tested it on my main site too, and no change.

Second note: the searchbar oddly isn't showing up in the proper place on my test site(in case I forgot, here's the link). it should be at the top of the userlinks across from the other stuff when you scroll enough to make the flag disappear completely. it's in the proper place on the main site forum, but not on the test site even with the proper code in. . . so odd. . .

This post has been edited by THE SONIC CENTURION: Dec 8 2017, 04:32 PM
PM
#
Normally I'd wait to bump/post again until it's off the first page, and hopefully I'm not coming off impatient, but some non-staff members have finally noticed this is an issue. I had to help them figure out how to access their profile to edit things for the mini-profile since their User CP is gone from userlinks bar and while that isn't so bad with say one or two folks right now it could be a hassle if the issue is on-going for awhile lol

I recognize though that it's the holidays so again, no rush. Just thought I'd inquire. =D
PM
#
Well I can't find the object with the #log-out id, so it wont append to anything, same with #my-controls, i guess they used to have those ids for the links?, but i cant find them in the source so, that's why they wont show, they are still int he #userlinks div.

So, you either move them with another selector, which i really think it could be done in a better way.

Just style the original #userlinks to match your custom one and use position to make it appear where you want it.

Or make a custom userbar but do not use append, use variables.

#
QUOTE (Hxllow Saints @ Dec 15 2017, 10:41 PM)
Well I can't find the object with the #log-out id, so it wont append to anything, same with #my-controls, i guess they used to have those ids for the links?, but i cant find them in the source so, that's why they wont show, they are still int he #userlinks div.

So, you either move them with another selector, which i really think it could be done in a  better way.

Just style the original #userlinks to match your custom one and use position to make it appear where you want it.

Or make a custom userbar but do not use append, use variables.

Um, huh? Lol sorry, but I don't know what any of that means. The skin was commissioned so I didn't make the userlinks bar. That is above my code experience with Jcink. I just started even looking at maybe trying to do that and that was earlier. xD All I did was turn off the PM option for non-OoC/Staff accounts and this happened. I didn't move anything or mess with any code.
PM
#
They are saying that this issue is squarely related to the way the person who commissioned the skin for you did the coding for the userlinksbar. It's not a fault within the system.

This means there's two options:

#1. Fix what they did, which is what we've been looking at but I can't find a fix. That script is appending all of the links -- or it's trying to, to a new class, but it fails. This means it has to be redone or the root cause discovered; neither of which I'm able to do unfortunately at the moment.

#2. Enable the original userlinksbar and hide the custom one. This is probably the easiest and best solution to get everything working 'right now.' You can do that by removing:

CODE

#userlinks {
display: none; }

From the CSS; and then take out the javascript:

CODE
<script>$("#logged-in-as, #log-out, ...

This will restore the original userlinksbar and you can style that. Again it won't be what you had before but it'll be fully functional.

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll