Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

New issue
#
I'm bumping this for my members as they are crying out for a fix but this issue seems to have returned with a vengeance.

I've been monitoring it and from my site/service there isn't more than about 1000 (average) calls to Jcink websites so I know it's not my screenshot provider that is causing these IP blocks. I'd like to see if there was a better resolution for this as this upsets my Jcink members extremely to start seeing forbidden screenshots on their sites.

John

This post has been edited by TheMorrigan: Dec 1 2017, 12:41 AM

signature
user posted image
#
We still have the same whitelist that we did before:

# Allow from PagePeeker
allow 144.76.175.75;
allow 144.76.235.107;
allow 144.76.235.110;
allow 144.76.23.106;

I will try to figure out what other IPs pagepeeker is now using. As I mentioned before, 144.76.0.0/16 is blocked for extensive spam and abuse. Which is a range by dedicated server provider Hetzner Online. Pagepeeker (unfortunately) uses their services, probably because they are dirt cheap and geared toward this kind of thing, so they are caught up in it.

We'll figure out which of their IPs are being blocked now as they must have added some new ones... it's not helpful that pagepeeker doesn't identify itself in the user agent either. So I can't actually look up those failed requests easily; I just have to do it by trial and error.

I am not willing to unblock hetnzer's range -- we've had a heck of a time lately with waves of 'holiday' spammers as I like to call it attempting to hammer boards. Sorry about that TheMorrigan but I should be able to fix it again this time once I discover their newest IPs.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
No worries John it's a nuisance for both of us. I'm looking into other screenshot services that aren't outrageously pricey (which pretty much all of them are) but still do them well. If I find a decent one then this problem will be over (hopefully).

Wish me luck.

signature
user posted image
#
TheMorrigan

Looking at my logs... I am pretty confident that these are new pagepeeker IPs within the Hetzner network.

allow 144.76.62.77;
allow 144.76.202.227;

I have now allowed them. I attempted to generate thumbnails for two unique sounding subdomain names, and it generated forbidden messages from those IPs only so far.

One thing to be very careful of, of course, with any screenshot service is how fast it crawls our boards to take the shots. I haven't seen pagepeeker blocked by any of our mechanisms that stop aggressive scans/crawling, so that's good. It just keeps getting caught in this blanket block when they add or change servers.

signature
#
Thanks John that appears to have fixed it.

signature
user posted image
#
Happy to hear.

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll