Pages: (11) « First ... 9 10 11  ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Post as / Change poster [COMPLETED]
#
Absolutely right, you don't know how well you can trust an admin when joining a site. But that does not mean we will water down tools that can be abused just because some people will do it.

So to understand, you're looking at this problem from a member's perspective?

I addressed this earlier in the thread. To me it is a non-issue, because the same exact effect of impersonation can be accomplished by an administrator editing your posts. It would be a bit much to add an opt-out for that; so why would we do it for this?

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Yes, I'm looking at it from a member perspective.

I've met waaaay too many untrustworthy administrators. How, out of curiosity, is it watering down the programme if you find a way to allow people to opt in/out?
PM
#
Because then are we supposed to allow an opt out for every feature an administrator may possibly abuse?

Such as:
    PM Logging
    Moderator Logging
    Administrator Logging
    Password Settings
    Profile Edit
    Account Edit
    Etc...

If you water it down then others will ask well then why can Admins still...and there it goes. Wanting Admins to be pretty much members who can merely make forums.

signature

user posted image
YouTube | Email: crystal@jcink.com | Blog: Seriously Lacqueing
DeviantArt
#
Opt/in out isn't necessarily watering it down, it's just making it more complicated for no reason.

If I added an "opt out" for members to block themselves being able to be part of this because of potential abuse, then like I said, I might as well start adding opt outs for a lot of other things too that could be abused. PM logs. Editing posts. Hell, an abusive admin could change a member's password if they wanted from the Admin CP and sign right into their account and start impersonating them if they wanted to right now with ease.

Edit: She got it before me.

signature
#
Okay.
PM
#
QUOTE (Jcink @ Jul 27 2013, 11:23 PM)
Edit: She got it before me.

And I'm on Mobile. I should get a reward, typing on here sucks with this phone. >_<

signature

user posted image
DeviantArt
#
I must say this is one of the best improvements I have seen to IPB 1.3 in a long time. The software can easily compete now with that improvement for the users, it just makes it so convenient.
PM
#
I actually think there's been so many other substantial upgrades compared to this like mobile mode or something. tongue.gif

We're so far off from vanilla 1.3 it isn't even funny, I no longer refer to it as that myself.

But this is a big feature for our service because we have a lot of RP forums, and sims.

Appreciate the compliment though! Happy to hear you like it so much.

signature
#
I think I found a bug. I tend to keep multiple tabs up when I am working on a post for someone. In another tab I had switched accounts to post in the shoutbox and then when I went to post I was getting an error about permissions. The non-refereshed page said I was logged in as my admin account. I told it to show my character name when posted. I believe because I was actually logged in as that account and the list was outdated that it was giving me the error. But the error that it was giving me said that I did not have permission to post there. I checked the permission masks and its not a permission mask error. So I wanted to inform you of what occurred.

signature

user posted imageuser posted image

Click Images for The Best Forums Ever!
#
Not a bug, you just can't do that.

You cannot use the account switcher and change out of your account while you're making a response. It will reset the session and the post will be denied authorization since your session key will be wrong. Does not matter if your account has permission to post or not, it'll end up denied from posting due to the switch.

signature
#
Development has been completed and this feature has been released or modified.

signature

user posted image
DeviantArt
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (11) « First ... 9 10 11  ClosedNew TopicNew Poll