Pages: (4) 1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

API to Database
#
QUOTE (SteveJobs @ Apr 25 2011, 07:43 PM)
how about a separate api for the chat server then whereby programmers can query it for chatroom user information... of course that would also be back burner and secondary to the board api development.

The chat server is written in C/C++ so this is unlikely for me to happen unless I learn these very quickly. The nickname services have their own web API which could be tapped into, but I don't think it carries that.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Okay. But Yeah, like I said, I love this, and I cannot wait until you can get this done, because I am sure there are plenty of others that would like this just as much as I do.
PM
#
The cool thing about this though is that once I have the groundwork done, I can basically do live development of the API. Adding something new will be pretty easy, i.e. registration handling or topic outputs are independent of eachother and one doesn't have to wait for the other to be done for me to add it to the API.

signature
#
does this mean the forums will be almost fully customizable? as if you can design your own forum?
PM
#
QUOTE (komiku-sama @ Apr 27 2011, 11:02 PM)
does this mean the forums will be almost fully customizable? as if you can design your own forum?

No...

signature
#
for that you need javascript hackery like me...

signature
#
oh.. it really is hard to be a newbie in these kind of terms.. tongue.gif im confused.. sorry guys..
PM
#
Just want to ask a few questions that just came to me about this while working on integrating my webmail client into my website.

With this API, will it be able to do the following things:
-Register users (I'm pretty sure you already said yes to this.)
-Edit member's information, like name, custom profile fields, title.
-Change User's group?
-Edit member's password?
-Edit member's email address?
-Automatic Logging in (Being able to log in from another website)
-Set moderators for forums?
-Manage Validating users?
-Submit and edit member's awards?

That is all I can think of for now.

If the stuff on that list is done, I would simply be in heaven. I have been able to integrate almost everything on all of my other services that have to do with my website (chat services, wiki, email client) but it just isn't doable on the forums, and if the stuff on the list is done, my problems will be solved.

Also, I was wondering, if certain things were going to be added to the API, would there be a way to disable users changing the information on the forums, and rather require them to do it on my main website? Like instead of a user being able to change their password on the forum, they have to do it in their profile of my website, so that it changes the password for ALL of my site's services. If they were able to change it on the forums, it would mess up the whole single sign on idea of having everything integrated.

If you can let me know on this stuff, much appreciated.
PM
#
Registration and general account modification is on the list. A lot of what you wrote is what I have in mind.

Also, depending on how the API expands, yes, it may become a need to disable them from editing via profile on the forums such as in your case. but I have not even gotten to that point yet. This would probably be a setting somewhere within the API of course.

signature
#
Amazing, I am glad you are thinking this stuff already. This will be amazing when it is implemented.
PM
#
QUOTE (Chazz871 @ Apr 25 2011, 06:17 PM)
I'll admit a lot of the technical stuff is over my head but with this would it be possible to have a list at the bottom of the forum of the members who are currently in the chatroom?

This could be achieved with a bot using a few commands, but another problem you might run into is the fact that your bot needs to know what members irc names are, In example you will either have to add a custom field to have the users IRC nicks or have every user use their site name. On your website, you would have to make your own php page, and then put an IFRAME into it from your jcink site. The php page would have to
A: Have a bot in the channel that can /who then split the hostnames into just the nickname by cutting the result of the who on a per line basis then cutting it before the ! which would result in the nickname being a arrayed variable which could be put in as online which could be writtin into the page...... Then you will have issues on how you can keep records of all of the users.

signature
Thanks,
JordanH

JcinkNet Family Grandpa
#
QUOTE (JordanH @ Jun 21 2011, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (Chazz871 @ Apr 25 2011, 06:17 PM)
I'll admit a lot of the technical stuff is over my head but with this would it be possible to have a list at the bottom of the forum of the members who are currently in the chatroom?

This could be achieved with a bot using a few commands, but another problem you might run into is the fact that your bot needs to know what members irc names are, In example you will either have to add a custom field to have the users IRC nicks or have every user use their site name. On your website, you would have to make your own php page, and then put an IFRAME into it from your jcink site. The php page would have to
A: Have a bot in the channel that can /who then split the hostnames into just the nickname by cutting the result of the who on a per line basis then cutting it before the ! which would result in the nickname being a arrayed variable which could be put in as online which could be writtin into the page...... Then you will have issues on how you can keep records of all of the users.

The reason I brought this up was because a long time ago on a now defunct IPB forum host, there was a forum that had a chatroom which listed who was in the chatroom at the bottom. Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure it wasn't an irc chat. They appeared to have hosted their own chatroom on one of the free webspace providers and used the member login names from the forum.

I suppose when Jcink finishes the API that something like that would be possible provided a seperate chat was hosted on a website instead of the IRC Chat.
PM
#
QUOTE (komiku-sama @ Apr 27 2011, 10:02 PM)

Hmm. Technically you can already *design* your own forum. It just takes time, dedication, and knowledge.

I dunno if this is what was on your mind but it's on mine and somewhat related to your post.. so tongue.gif:

Thinking about it, you can make a whole website using JFB. Would take a lot of effort/be difficult but possible. The first big obstacle will be designing a skin which have a navigation menu, logo, and website-like login/userbox at the top. From there one will have to base the "pages" via the webpage maker and manually organize them on the menu (dropdowns, ect). The home/index would be the site news which can be customized to look however you want.

Anyways... On topic:

Sounds great. Will be cool to work with once it's implemented smile.gif!

This post has been edited by Rarez: Jun 24 2011, 12:15 AM

signature
#
yeah.. what rarez is talking about. dev.b1.jcink.com

This post has been edited by Merlin: Jun 24 2011, 12:40 AM

signature
#
Sooo... it's been about a year . How's progress on this going?
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (4) 1 2 3 4  ClosedNew TopicNew Poll