Pages: (4) 1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

API to Database
#
This project isn't in development right now. This topic is only to collect feedback on what people would like to see in the API. It hasn't gathered as many responses as I'd have wanted, though.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I'll post more if you want Jcink. PLEASE do this. This is the greatest thing ever right up there with the sub-accounts.
PM
#
You don't have to worry about the project getting done; it will. As a developer I know there is great value in this and it'll spawn innovations within the community. Just wish more were excited about the prospect of it, that's all. tongue.gif

signature
#
I'm excited about it!
#
I think it might just be because people might not understand it all and not know what all it brings, along with thinking they won't be able to use the feature that much if they are non-developers.

This post has been edited by Ratneer: Oct 8 2011, 05:28 PM
PM
#
QUOTE (Ratneer @ Oct 8 2011, 05:28 PM)
I think it might just be because people might not understand it all and not know what all it brings, along with thinking they won't be able to use the feature that much if they are non-developers.

You're probably right about this. ph34r.gif Certainly there will be some advanced areas that those who don't know how to code may not be able to work with, but there will be easy parts of the API as well.

signature
#
Even though its redundant (since you're recreating the mobile browsing interface already) will this be accessible via Android and iOS devices? Idk if APIs are coded specifically for different platforms or are universal, but some developers might want to go farther than website integration and might want to put an app out to make browsing easier and more customized to their desires/needs.
#
APIs are generally written in a way that lets the programmer choose what they want to do with the data.

For example, say someone had a game for iPhone but wanted to require account registration. Let's also say they want the accounts linked to the forums. They could tap into the account system of their board and use that to create the register/login function.

The API is more of a universal tool to get things done in all kinds of environments.

signature
#
Oh my god. If Jcink had an API, it would probably be, by far, the best free forum host out there (not saying it's not among the best now, but that it would get an instant and definite advantage). Especially because it's free. I'm already getting ridiculously fond of it, so I'd definitely be up for writing mods and such. I know Zetaboards devs were talking about developing an API, but it was still a what-if last I checked.

Instead of XML, for output, why not return JSON?

This post has been edited by kismet: Nov 17 2011, 08:41 PM
#
A year ago I wanted it to be XML as seen from the beginning of this thread, but it's likely going to be json. I changed my mind. it's just a lot easier to work with for something like this. it makes more sense to use json for this service too, since everything is so javascript oriented when it comes to making changes.

signature
#
QUOTE (Jcink @ Oct 18 2011, 08:11 PM)
APIs are generally written in a way that lets the programmer choose what they want to do with the data.

For example, say someone had a game for iPhone but wanted to require account registration. Let's also say they want the accounts linked to the forums. They could tap into the account system of their board and use that to create the register/login function.

The API is more of a universal tool to get things done in all kinds of environments.

does this mean, someone can make an app out for jfh and be a stand-alone app browser for jfh? smile.gif that would be neat!
PM
#
They could make an app of their own that worked with JFH.

signature
#
oh yeah.. i mean.. with.. sorry with the grammar.. biggrin.gif nice.. this is great!!
PM
#
QUOTE (Jcink @ Nov 18 2011, 01:22 AM)
A year ago I wanted it to be XML as seen from the beginning of this thread, but it's likely going to be json. I changed my mind. it's just a lot easier to work with for something like this. it makes more sense to use json for this service too, since everything is so javascript oriented when it comes to making changes.

We need a "Like" button very badly. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by kismet: Nov 21 2011, 05:41 AM
#
If you finish this I'll be one of the firsts to consume this API. I am currently a member in another JCINK forum and would love to integrate the forums with a dedicated mobile app.

Heck, if you are using .NET to develop this API lemme know. I can help. I use .NET every day at work.

Using JSON is the best idea. It is leaner than XML and better to be consumed from mobile devices and javascript.

Maybe design the API as a REST service?

I'll be checking every now and then this thread for updated status. tongue.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (4) 1 2 3 4  ClosedNew TopicNew Poll