Pages: (33) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

iPhone/Android Mobile Theme [complete]
#
Mobile web use is getting bigger and bigger. Even if you don't own one right now, you can't deny it. It skyrocketed over the last 2 years as iPhones and Androids continue to be bought up like crazy.

While you can currently browse forums and websites fairly well with with these smartphones, the experience can be made a whole lot better with a mobile-specific template.

In short, plans for this feature are to add the main features of the forum into a mobile-friendly style:
  • Board index view
  • Topic index view
  • Profile View
  • Logging in
  • Online List
  • Simple My Controls/User CP
  • PMs, read/reply
  • New topics and replies
  • Search
  • Members list
  • Viewing New Posts
  • Optimizations to save phone bandwidth
  • Mobile mode compatibility with most skins
Attached are some screenshots of a mock-up page. This is not actually working yet with the forums, it's just a template to work out the skin but it demonstrates the direction we're heading in.

Everything is large and easy to touch; you don't have to hit the links or arrows to go to the area of your choice. Pressing the whole cell area with your finger is all you need to do. If you want a larger view of the text or touch areas for those who have bad eyes or really need to see things larger on their phone, just flip it and iPhone makes it bigger.

comments / questions / suggestions are welcome!

The below images are old, recent screenshots are here: http://forum.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic...ndpost&p=143772

Attached 4 File(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Very good idea, I like the layout of it. But what will it look like when you are browsing topics with pictures that are to big to fit on the screen? Will it automatically resize them?

signature
user posted image
Whirl Islands is a text-based Pokemon role-playing game that provides you an opportunity to journey with your partner. Along the way, an Admin or RPG Moderator will guide you as your opponent, gym leader, your friend or a wild Pokemon. So, try your best, and become a master of the sea!
PM
#
Actually, I was thinking of just replacing all posted images in the topic with a "Click to show" link. Not just because of size, but bandwidth. Phone bandwidth is low, and can be spotty depending on wherever you are.

If someone posts a rather large image, that's a waste if it has to be downloaded. My phone plan is 2GB, which isn't even that much... but there are plenty of others out there stuck with even worse; say like 300MB or less.

signature
#
Looks great so far JCink seeing how i am sneaking on my iPod touch at work now this is really going to be helpful

signature
user posted image
#
Ah yes - of course, it will look great on any little iOS device as well. smile.gif

signature
#
Will there be the option for people who are browsing on a mobile device but don't want to use the mobile view to use the regular one?
Also is it a case of when you go to the forum on a mobile you go to the mobile version or do you get the full version but have to click to go mobile?

signature
user posted image
#
I think the best option would be to have the new mobile version be default on smartphones with an option to jump to the full forum always present, and the old lo-fi version default on dumbphones.

signature
user posted image
#
QUOTE (GMaster479 @ Jun 6 2011, 02:49 PM)
I think the best option would be to have the new mobile version be default on smartphones with an option to jump to the full forum always present, and the old lo-fi version default on dumbphones.

user posted image
#
What GMaster said is exactly what we're going to do.

signature
#
excited about the dwvelopmwnt of rhia.. biggrin.gif
PM
#
can this also be implemented on nokia phones? will there br a link on the deaktop view to the mobile view? and is iy accessible even to guests?
PM
#
QUOTE (komiku-sama @ Jun 7 2011, 12:17 PM)
can this also be implemented on nokia phones? will there br a link on the deaktop view to the mobile view? and is iy accessible even to guests?

It's not actually restricted to iPhones or Android based smartphones. Those are the platforms that it will be optimized for though. There's no reason it can't be used on Nokia phones though. Something like the Nokia N8-00. And yes, guests can use it.

signature
#
this is great.. now im really excited on having this implemented.. biggrin.gif
PM
#
As someone who has recently started using their iPhone as their phone, I am ecstatic to hear this. I was actually going to suggest it, but I figured that I'd check here first.

I am glad I did.

One question though, will the ACP areas be mobile compatible as well?

I currently use Atomic Web Browser on my iPhone, and even though I can get into the ACP that way, navigation is cumbersome..

signature
Twilight Cafe - No sparkly vampires. No topless werewolves. Just sick, twisted, horribly, horribly inapropriate FRIENDLY people.
user posted image

My Suggestions: 1-10, 11-13,14, 15, 16*, 17,18, 19?, 20,21, 22, 23-31, 32-40, 41-48, 49-53, 54-57, 58*, 59, 60,61,62*,63*,64*,65*,66, 67,68, 69

All of my suggestions in one thread. Updated as of 10/21/15

"There was one of two things I had a right to: liberty or death. If I could not have one, I would take the other, for no man should take me alive." -- Harriet Tubman
#
QUOTE (Black Angel @ Jun 14 2011, 06:42 PM)
One question though, will the ACP areas be mobile compatible as well?

Unfortunately no. The board skin and Admin CP skin areas are two entirely different places; this project will focus on the front-end only. We have some ways to go working on the Admin CP structure / design itself before I can think about doing that in mobile. There are also a lot of areas in there that just aren't even practical in general for mobile (skin editing, etc).

Also, welcome to the iPhone side... I think I remember you had a blackberry like I did, right? So much nicer isn't it?

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (33) 1 2 3 ... Last » ClosedNew TopicNew Poll