Pages: (5) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Official Resource Forum [COMPLETED]
#
With the release of Premium Mode imminent on the horizon and the increasing number of boards being registered daily here on Jcink.com the JFH staff have decided to open an official resource board for the community of users that make up the JFH system.

We all know there are plenty of resource boards out there for a majority of things from advertising, graphics, coding, skinning, directories, and onward. However a majority of these are optimized to be able to display resources for every type of free forum software out there as well as self-hosting meaning you have to go through and hunt to find the resources you need to really make your Jcink forum pop. This takes the guesswork out of it.

All of the resources, skins, coding, modifications, etc. on this forum will be created by the JFH users and staff and be optimized for use on all JFH forums. Taking the guess work out of your skinning, you won't have to pull up a modification code then edit it to work on JFH, or even go through a trial and error for days just to see if it even works. All of these resources will be checked and proven to work on JFH forums before being accepted taking all of that guess work and mess out of the equation for all users.

Now with this I know a lot of people will be thinking this is just a roleplay resource forum like the majority of them out there, however it is absolutely not, while it will have areas for roleplay resources, this is going to be a complete general resource forum for the entirety of the JFH system.

Some of the items to be featured on Jcink Forum Hosting Resources will include:
  • Forum Directory (No post count, no button requirement.)
  • Skin Galleries
  • Coding Galleries
  • Graphic Galleries
  • Template Galleries
  • Complete Graphic Resource & Request Areas
  • Review & Critique Centers (Not only for forums.)
  • Challenge Centers (Will win advertising spots on the sidebar.)
  • Monthly Challenges (Details below.)
So as you can see this will run the same way a majority of resource forums run, with galleries and submission areas as well as discussion areas for a majority of things. In addition to having challenges to win advertising spots we will also have contests held every month for different things provided on the service.

The first contest will be held in conjunction with the release of Premium Mode, and the prize will be six months of Premium Service free.

The details for this contest will be announced when the forum is opened to the public and will be available to all users registered on Jcink Forum Hosting Resources.

As with any ongoing development though I am completely open to suggestions, or ideas on what the users of JFH would like to see featured, or would desire in this kind of forum. So any feedback or suggestions are welcome below and much appreciated.

signature

user posted image
DeviantArt | Email: crystal@jcink.com | Blog: Seriously Lacqueing

user posted image user posted image user posted image
RPG-Resources
List your forum in our Directory today!
#
This reminds me of Resource Empire back in the day.

My question is, why create an all new board when there really isn't that many people who create resources anyway? I understand the advertising and challenges, but couldn't that all be on this support board using categories and sub forums?

signature
user posted image

Shift UI Development Thread
"Design is not just what it looks like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs
#
I like the idea of a resource board for RPG Boards that use Jcink since many of the features of JFH are now catering to their specific needs. We are growing in that respect and we should make sure that we help this group of users. I feel, however, that most of the other resources that other boards need have already been met.

I feel that limiting the scope would probably help those content creators who might want to distinguish what they make for the general forums out there and what they create for the RPG community, especially considering the vastly different styles that they use.

But that is just me...

signature
user posted image
#
QUOTE (Gunblaza @ Jan 16 2013, 07:36 PM)
This reminds me of Resource Empire back in the day.

My question is, why create an all new board when there really isn't that many people who create resources anyway? I understand the advertising and challenges, but couldn't that all be on this support board using categories and sub forums?

This is a close minded question, this decision was made though because this support forum is just that for support and issues and throwing in all of the additional resources for users as well as contests and challenges would cause too much confusion and issues with organization and then support could end up falling through the cracks.

The fact is though there are many more resources out there than you think, and as GMaster said a ton of them are created by the RPG Community, which is why users on non-RPG boards rarely if ever get to see or have access to them and they could usually benefit these boards as well. Not every person who makes resources or codes modifications ever even comes onto this support forum, in fact the majority of the users who do that never do.

On top of that combining things like Graphics areas, Guides, a Directory and discussion areas within a support forum create issues as well with people posting for Graphics Support or support on using a program in a place where Jcink wants only forum issues or bugs posted. So in the end it comes down to the need to separate those things from the support, bug, and development areas for the sake of organization.

QUOTE (GMaster479 @ Jan 16 2013, 08:34 PM)
I feel that limiting the scope would probably help those content creators who might want to distinguish what they make for the general forums out there and what they create for the RPG community, especially considering the vastly different styles that they use.

But that is just me...

Limiting the scope then would provide for only one type of user, and that is not what we want to do with this for JFH we want to provide for ALL users of JFH, limiting the scope then limits the amount of things being provided for users on the service and we do not want to do that in any way. Every member of this service deserves an equal opportunity and acces to the same resources and thing as anyone else, and no particular group should be singled out and given any sort of preferential treatment or have special provisions made for them that others don't equally have. So it will remain a complete resource forum for all users.

signature

user posted image

RPG-Resources
#
I knew this was going to happen/arrive sooner or later. JFH is a very popular free forum hosting service and the implementation of the uplcoming features is going to change the service in a good way, so I figured it was just a matter of time before this was going to be announced.

I actually kind of wished that an official resources board would be created for JFH and now my wish has come true.... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by mnikolic: Jan 17 2013, 02:43 AM
#
I can't wait for this to happen. It's going to be really brilliant to be able to be involved in and use with a solid backing and specifically for a host that's capable of handling more advanced coding than IF boards, which most of the others cater to.I'm looking forward to the directory aspect of it as well, and the lack of a required button will also be a really nice boon. The challenges, though I doubt I'll get far, (especially if they're coding centric, haha) sound like a ton of fun to try and just to watch. biggrin.gif
PM
#
QUOTE (Rosalieart @ Jan 17 2013, 05:08 PM)
The challenges, though I doubt I'll get far, (especially if they're coding centric, haha) sound like a ton of fun to try and just to watch.  biggrin.gif

There will actually be a multitude of challenges as well as monthly contests for different kinds of prizes. It's going to be a kind of fun way to give people something fun to do to earn cool prizes for their forums.

As stated in the original post it has been decided for the first contest to give away six months of Premium Service to the winner.

signature

user posted image

RPG-Resources
#
When is the Resource Board going to open? I know we aren't supposed to ask when features release, but I searched the topic and I didn't see a link. Is the Resource Board and the Premium Service coming out simultaneously?

signature
user posted image
PM
#
They will both be released simultaneously, probably with the Premium Service coming out three (3) to five (5) days before the opening of the resource forum.

When the resource forum opens though to go in conjunction with the release of Premium we will be holding a contest for the above mentioned prize of six (6) months of Premium Service. As well as other challenges and contests to launch the board and demonstrate how future contests and things will run.

In addition to the above listed things there are also going to be areas for:
  • Skin, Coding, and Graphics Galleries.
  • Staff and Moderator Searches
  • Character Searches (For Roleplayers)
  • Multiple resource indexes and collections.
Also as the directory is being built and altered a bit at this moment if anyone has an directory category suggestions feel free to post them here to be considered for this. This is for any type of forum, as the Directory is going to be a complete compilation with areas for all assortments of forums not merely roleplay forums as many have assumed from what I'm hearing through the grapevine. I'd like to clear that up completely, this is not only a roleplay resource forum, it is a complete service wide resource forum.

As for the forum link, it will be: http://resources.jcink.com
Alternate forum link: http://jcinkresource.b1.jcink.com
However at this time the board is offline to all but the current JFH staff members.

signature

user posted image

RPG-Resources
#
Sounds good. I'm very interested on how the multiple resource indexes and collections will look like. wink.gif

EDIT: One question: what will happen to the Themes/Skins and Codes & Mods forums after the resources board goes live?

This post has been edited by mnikolic: Jan 20 2013, 09:08 AM
#
QUOTE (mnikolic @ Jan 20 2013, 05:25 AM)
EDIT: One question: what will happen to the Themes/Skins and Codes & Mods forums after the resources board goes live?

After it opens those creators will have the ability to move their works over obviously. As for those forums that will all be up to Jcink to keep or remove them. He may also choose to make them redirects to those areas at this point it has not been decided. We have discussed though putting them into a mere archive state and leaving everything and just cutting off people posting there anymore as we have sections for it on the Resource Forum. I can tell you though I am going to be cleaning those areas up in the next two weeks because there are a lot of broken skins and codes present in both of them that just need removed because they no longer work.

signature

user posted image

RPG-Resources
#
Whats the current ETA for its release? I've been meaning to share my free skins on this forum, but since the resource one is coming I'll wait on it.
PM
#
Right now the slated release date is about three (3) to five (5) days after the release of Premium. The Premium prospective release date is currently mid to late February.

signature

user posted image

RPG-Resources
#
The Premium Service offer is only valid to those who won the first contest or the first of each contests made? (Graphics Challenge, Writing Challenge, Winner, Skinning Challenge, Coding Challenge)

signature
Developing Reactions
#
The Premium Service will be offered as a special opening prize for a special contest we will be holding, we actually already have the contest planned out, the prizes for it will be:
  • Six (6) months for the first (1) place winner.
  • Three (3) months for the second (2) place winner.
  • One (1) month for the third (3) place winner.
The contests for Graphics, Coding, Writing, Skinning, etc. will win spots being featured on our sidebar for periods of time.

We will also host contests once (1) or twice (2) a month for miscellaneous prizes such as domain names, premium service, feature previews, ad removal, extra storage space, custom skins, etc.

Also once a month we will have the Directory Spotlight feature spot for the month, which is a different kind of feature contest requiring your forum to be nominated by at least two (2) members of the resource forum and then voted upon by all members of the forum if it fits into the category or theme of the month.

All in all there will be multiple contests and challenges going on that feature various prizes and rewards that benefit your forum overall. But the big opening challenge will be for the time of Premium Service mentioned above as it's prizes.

signature

user posted image

RPG-Resources
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (5) 1 2 3 ... Last » ClosedNew TopicNew Poll