Pages: (11) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Post as / Change poster [COMPLETED]
#
Sub accounts/linked accounts are a very popular feature for multiple account management that we added around a little over a year ago now. One of the most wanted extensions for this feature has been the ability to "post as" from the parent account, or modify an existing post to a different sub account from the parent.

This feature eliminates the need to switch out of a parent account into a sub to make a post. It also allows self-correction of posts in the event that a user posts under the wrong account accidentally, which saves administration time.

Additionally, if you are a board administrator, an option will appear in the menu to type a username and assign it to that post. This action, will, of course, be logged in the Admin CP logs if used.

In short, this feature contains:
  • Drop down menu when making a new topic / reply with sub account options to post as when logged in under parent.
  • Drop down menu when logged in while editing a post under a parent account with options to change the account it was posted under.
  • Ability to type a name to change it to if you're the board admin.
  • Correctly increases postcount of chosen account during posting.
  • Updates last post and activity time in profiles so the account shows up on the logged in today list and stays an 'active' account in the system without ever having to log-in.
  • Edit posts of your sub accounts from another account in your family
  • Mobile mode supported with all of the above.
This feature is fairly simple feature, although after it's ported to the service from my development board, I will be looking for a few beta testers to make sure it works correctly. smile.gif

Any questions or comments are appreciated! I will use this thread to post development updates as it should go along pretty quickly.

Attached 2 File(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
This seems really useful. I didn't even think about this. Thanks for the update.

signature
user posted image
PM
#
We didn't either actually, but users have really been requesting this one quite a bit. It makes sense and just streamlines the use of sub accounts further.

signature
#
I'm so glad to see this happening! I'm really bad when it comes to this, and as I am the admin of my forum, it will mean I wont have to leave my admin account for long periods of time and not notice important PM's and things til later :3 And things. /just really happy to this, the premium service and resource forum in the workds
PM
#
Good to hear and yes that's yet another benefit of just being able to stay on a primary account as well.

signature
#
This is a wonderful feature that you're developing! Yet another option that makes Jcink the most appealing forum host for role playing communities. smile.gif
PM
#
Haven't posted much in terms of progress lately but, this feature is nearly complete. I'm pretty much just testing it to make sure it's secure and cleaning up some of the code. But it does work without any issue so far.

signature
#
This is great! I've used a similar sub accounts feature on other software that did this and I've missed it very very much! If you need a beta tester I happily volunteer!
#
Hell yeah.

Oh yeah, if you need more beta testers, just say the word.

This post has been edited by AMB Tanz: Feb 7 2013, 01:58 AM

signature
user posted image - a panfandom rp
#
I really like this idea. It saves the time of having to switch accounts, particularly if you forget and you're in the middle of a post (which from a roleplayer's perspective is quite painful). I have to use 5 different accounts on my own forum (staff account, one NPC account, and 3 characters) so having the ability to switch mid-post is definitely useful.

I'm up for beta-testing as well if you want another beta tester. ^^
PM
#
Hey, thanks for waiting patiently on this and to everyone volunteering. I've had my hands full due to DDoS defense issues so working on anything else has been hard, but I'm still here and looking forward to getting this done.

signature
#
I wish I'd read this first before posting my idea in my other thread. But I suppose my question would be, would this actually work for what I asked about in my thread?

If I were to take the posts from one account, for example, a returning member who signed up years ago but has a new name, and and wanted access to their old account..

If they were member number 700 on the new name, and their old account number was 34, does this mean that if I reassign all the posts they made as member #700 to their old account, will their newer posts show up under their old account? Can/will the new account's (member 700) posts be merged into the old one (member 34)? Will this come up in a search? Will the exported db reflect this change as well?

This post has been edited by Black Angel: Feb 12 2013, 05:03 AM

signature
Twilight Cafe - No sparkly vampires. No topless werewolves. Just sick, twisted, horribly, horribly inapropriate FRIENDLY people.
user posted image

My Suggestions: 1-10, 11-13,14, 15, 16*, 17,18, 19?, 20,21, 22, 23-31, 32-40, 41-48, 49-53, 54-57, 58*, 59, 60,61,62*,63*,64*,65*,66, 67,68, 69

All of my suggestions in one thread. Updated as of 10/21/15

"There was one of two things I had a right to: liberty or death. If I could not have one, I would take the other, for no man should take me alive." -- Harriet Tubman
#
QUOTE (Black Angel @ Feb 12 2013, 02:57 AM)

If I were to take the posts from one account, for example, a returning member who signed up years ago but has a new name, and and wanted access to their old account..

Technically yes, well really yes, if you went in and changed all of their posts to be reassigned to their new account then they should show up under that account as being made on it. Say Jcink imports your IF database the way you discussed in that thread...then you have those members accounts and their posts tied to them. Then they have a new name they registered after the import or something and want their posts changed over. Then you could realistically change those over for them and they would be tied to the new account rather than the old or original account.

QUOTE (Black Angel @ Feb 12 2013, 02:57 AM)
If they were member number 700 on the new name, and their old account number was 34, does this mean that if I reassign all the posts they made as member #700 to their old account, will their newer posts show up under their old account? Can/will the new account's (member 700) posts be merged into the old one (member 34)? Will this come up in a search? Will the exported db reflect this change as well?

As for merging a JFB database and an IF one, that won't work out because of the assigned member numbers, post numbers, etc. Where they all match there is no real way to merge them without doing something to negate or change those numbers, and when done it severely skews the database and causes about two hundred issues with the forum and creates bugs and problems. I've seen this on the test database Jcink mentioned merging just to play around with in your other topic. It sounds like an easy and good idea, but it just isn't feasible and once done it is extremely difficult to get rid of the buggy stuff and make it functional.
#
Wow I can't wait for this!!! Thanks so much for working on such a wonderful option!
#
Sorry if I'm being slow, but I was wondering - would this make it so that we got our PMs all on whatever account we happened to actively be using, too?

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (11) 1 2 3 ... Last » ClosedNew TopicNew Poll