Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

@User Tagging [COMPLETED]
#
I'd love to see this. Maybe there could be a profile question for a nick name instead and the system could search for the nickname. If no nick name is present than the username is set at default. That could cut back on the amount of usernames with spaces because most people have 1 word for a nickname.

signature
user posted image
#
QUOTE (Saberkat @ Aug 4 2013, 07:29 PM)
I'd love to see this. Maybe there could be a profile question for a nick name instead and the system could search for the nickname. If no nick name is present than the username is set at default. That could cut back on the amount of usernames with spaces because most people have 1 word for a nickname.

I think this was suggested above, and the reason that won't work is because it pulls the link and the name from the Members List and the nick name would have no link associated with it and would not be able to be searched from the Members List.

And trying to find a way for members to specify a nickname for their account would be very complicated from what I've been told in discussing and testing this out.

signature

user posted image
YouTube | Email: crystal@jcink.com | Blog: Seriously Lacqueing
DeviantArt
#
Maybe there is a way so that when you do put the @ symbol the site could query the member list and you could possibly even tab to auto fill the name like in IRC. I don't know how possible it would be (might have to be AJAX) but it might be a quick way for the server to know what the name is.

signature
user posted image
#
It would require some form of ajax/live search to do that, yes, no other way. That can be incorporated later, although it is unlikely at all that I will delve into that type of thing for this release. My primary concern with that though would be constant hits against the members database while searching. Needs some testing to make sure it wouldn't end up being a load issue.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Excuse me while I make a dumb suggestion and you explain why I'm wrong~

so say someone tags an account called User Name by writing just @UserName. Couldn't the code run through the list of usernames, strip the whitespace out from each name, and then find the right account?

Edit: ohhh because that wouldn't work if there were two accounts: one UserName and one User Name.

This post has been edited by klin: Aug 4 2013, 09:33 PM
PM
#
Edit: ohhh because that wouldn't work if there were two accounts: one UserName and one User Name.

Correct. Also, the process of running through all of the usernames and then trimming out the whitespace every time someone goes to tag. This board alone would have to run an operation like that against 8000 members. It's just not too efficient, thanks for the idea anyway though. Anything that would require something like that would have to be avoided.

I took IcyMx's suggestion for that. I've already pretty much written up (nicked some regex...) for the tagging function. Works perfectly for @Username, and @[User Name]. So unless a better option is figured out, that's how it'll be.

I took Crystal's suggestion and the @ is stripped out after tagging someone. It just leaves a link to their username. I do feel it looks cleanest this way.

signature
#
QUOTE (Jcink @ Aug 4 2013, 10:00 PM)
I took Crystal's suggestion and the @ is stripped out after tagging someone. It just leaves a link to their username. I feel it looks cleaner this way.

Because I know what's pretty. >_>…<_<

signature

user posted image
DeviantArt
#
I say keep the @ when parsed, because it's something that people are familiar with and that clearly signifies that the link goes to a user.

In general omitting the @'s just for the sake of not being like Twitter is definitely going to cause some confusion. Facebook can get away with it because names are in full and easily recognisable as such; Twitter and internet forums can't.

Edit: seems like you've got this figured out, I'll just leave you to do what you do best tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Neviron: Aug 5 2013, 01:46 AM

signature
#
Will regular @1 work as well for like you example?or #7312 for Crystal?
PM
#
QUOTE (Leif @ Aug 5 2013, 04:46 PM)
Will regular @1 work as well for like you example?or #7312 for Crystal?

That's actually a really good idea. @ for usernames, # for user ids (perhaps parse them into the names)? Although I don't see why someone would know a member's id but not their name wink.gif

This post has been edited by Neviron: Aug 5 2013, 01:48 AM

signature
#
I don't really see it as that great of an idea to be honest...

Although I don't think it's hard to do, anyone actually using it that way all the time doesn't seem likely unless I'm missing something here. This thread is full of regulars and I still don't even know their user IDs without looking.

signature
#
I could see a few uses for the # idea...

If you didn't know the root admin and needed to tag them.

Or if their name was difficult to remember or had a really odd spelling.

Alternatively, if you did know the usernumber for tagging people it'd be a lot fewer button presses to tag them.

EX-

vs

@Jcink

(And until you get to like ten thousand of members or more, typing a number would be quicker in most cases than going for username. )

Also, I think it'd be a good idea to make an option to toggle the @ to display. (Either wrap it in a div and allow people to disable it via CSS or set it as a macro or possibly as an option in "System Settings" -> "Topics, posts and polls" or wherever this option should go.)

Since I would like to have the @ visible, but I know others have voiced that they wouldn't like it. So optional display shouldn't be that hard and it'd satisfy both parties.

signature
user posted image
#
Well what I would do is @1 for sure if I did it.

And not #1. Because then every time anyone used the hash tag to signify a number, someone would end up getting tagged unintentionally. (Especially for user numbers 1-10.)

I'm okay with an optional toggle as well.

signature
#
    Why not do the @username again?

I know a way done it on MyBB is that if you are tagging an account that has only one name, it would @admin (as an example). If it was someone with two names, it would be @"John Doe" with the quotes around it but would still translate the same.

I know rp boards tend to delete accounts, so the numbers would be strange. Unless there's a button where you could click it and you could insert the name, like a pop-out cbox.
PM
#
QUOTE (multiplicity! @ Aug 5 2013, 08:32 PM)
    Why not do the @username again?

I know a way done it on MyBB is that if you are tagging an account that has only one name, it would @admin (as an example).  If it was someone with two names, it would be @"John Doe" with the quotes around it but would still translate the same.

I know rp boards tend to delete accounts, so the numbers would be strange.  Unless there's a button where you could click it and you could insert the name, like a pop-out cbox.

He would still do the @username, he is saying he might build in as an option for people to also use @idnumber, rather than #whatevernumber, because then every time someone put in #something it would be trying to pull users.

signature

user posted image
DeviantArt
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (5) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ClosedNew TopicNew Poll