Pages: (56) « First ... 54 55 56  ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Alert System
#
Thanks. I hope that works if I have any other issues I will just PM you.

Thanks again.
PM
#
QUOTE (owl @ Feb 5 2016, 04:56 PM)
Is there a way for me as the administrator to make the following default: (across the board, I mean, not just for me)

1. Alerts for PMs and
2. "Enable notification of replies?" checked when making a new topic

If not, is there some Javascript that would accomplish the second one?

QUOTE (John @ Feb 5 2016, 05:38 PM)
Alerts for PMs, no, notification of replies, yes. I'll add an id element to the checkbox so this can be done.

I saw this exchange and am just curious.... Is there any plan to make PM alerts default or make that an option for admins to enable as the default board-wide in the future? It seems like for many forum admins (and maybe Jcink as whole?) like that might be simpler.

We have this glorious new alert system that can tell us about PMs and do a bunch of other cool stuff, so it seems superfluous to have a separate PM-notification-only system. I do echo Owl in that it would be nice not to make space in my skins for both PM and alert notifications when alerts are capable of handling it all. Plus if members don't want all the bells and whistles of the alert system, they can toggle all the other stuff off, right? Or even toggle off PM notifications if their admin set it to default? From the usage I'm seeing on forums and discussed in this thread, it seems like nearly everyone wants the PM stuff toggled on, too, so default might be more convenient for the masses.

Maybe it's just 1 am and I'm missing something, but it seems like an alert system with the capability for default PM notifications would cover everything in simpler terms!

While I'm rambling in the wee hours of the morning, I want to add that I really appreciate how responsive and involved you are, John. I can't think of any other company/service I've interacted with that has been so interactive with its users and consistently so open to discussion and development. You are wonderful. I always want to praise Jcink but never know where to do it, so I'm doing it here. 1 am says it's a good idea to just tack it on awkwardly here. Thank you for what you do! http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

This post has been edited by adcaelum: May 14 2016, 12:07 AM
PM
#
I think if designed correctly it would be nice, but I actually prefer seeing the distinction between new alerts and new PMs. For the simple reason that I might have 10 or 20 alerts to look at depending on how busy the board is, but those could just be topic subscriptions and various other things. But 2 new PMs directly prompt my response.

I don't think I will be removing the PM notifier and making it default, but if an Admin would like the option get rid of the message notifier and only use alerts I can understand why they would do that and I'll consider making it an option. Basically you could already do this with custom skins -- it's just that because alerts for PMs are disabled by default due to them being redundant in most cases prevents that as you said.

What I would like to do is make some settings in the Admin CP that allow an admin to choose the default setting / setup for the alerts on their board. Right now the settings are optimized for average use case, but the ability to enable notifications of replies/topics/PM alerts/etc automatically is a big deal for certain types of communities while that would annoy the crap out of others, so everyone's different and of course we always try to take that into account but sometimes these things are missed until later. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
QUOTE (John @ May 14 2016, 02:18 PM)
What I would like to do is make some settings in the Admin CP that allow an admin to choose the default setting / setup for the alerts on their board. Right now the settings are optimized for average use case, but the ability to enable notifications of replies/topics/PM alerts/etc automatically is a big deal for certain types of communities while that would annoy the crap out of others, so everyone's different and of course we always try to take that into account but sometimes these things are missed until later. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

I think this is probably the ideal system. This way each site can determine to what degree they want to use the PM system vs. the alert system and each admin can determine which defaults make the most sense for their users. The more I think on this, the more I would love to see this happen!
PM
#
That would be awesome. I know my site is set up in a less than conventional way, but a way to go through and set the default (while allowing members to go in personally and change things, per their preference) would make things a lot easier, particularly (and I don't know if this is possible) if one could have the option to have that change effect every member, rather than effecting only future accounts (though even just being able to set up new accounts in the way that works best for one's site would be fantastic).

signature
user posted image
#
Apologies if this post should instead be in feature requests or bugs or some other place. I'm unclear on where this post "fits" best.

I've noticed that if I'm subscribed to a topic and tagged in a post, I get multiple alerts for the same exact post. I'd like to avoid this for myself and avoid accidentally spamming people with alerts, but I'm unable to see who is and isn't already subscribed to threads. I'm wondering if there is an existing setting that accomplishes this (by turning off multiple alerts triggered by one post anywhere on my board) or if this is something that can be fixed (if multiple alerts from one post is considered a bug) or added (if this setting does not exist). It's not a huge deal since it doesn't take a huge amount of time and energy to delete an extra alert, but it would be nice not to have to do that. Thanks in advance for any reply.
PM
#
There isn't a setting for it, but I will consider looking into figuring out a way to mute the alerts if a subscription reply is set out. Definitely is just redundant.

Also, I forgot to lock/close this thread as the alert system is no longer something under "development/beta", but no worries.

signature
#
Development and BETA testing has been completed. This feature has been officially released, so this topic is now closed.

For feature suggestions or questions to expand it, please make appropriate topics in the feature requests forum. Thank you.

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (56) « First ... 54 55 56  ClosedNew TopicNew Poll