Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Database Interaction, Possibly Complicated Question
#
Hi,

I'm working on a board that I want to feature aspects that aren't part of Jcink (like leveling up via experience and such) and I have no problem coding it and getting it to work on my own. My biggest thing is that I don't want to host the forum myself, I love Jcink's platform and I just want to work within its boundaries.

My biggest problem is that I'll need to access a database to store information (such as the experience, levels, inventory, etc) and this database would have to be hosted privately unless there's a database hosting feature of Jcink that I'm not aware of. Should I be majorly concerned about connecting another database to it? Or has someone done this and had a problem?

Thanks!

This post has been edited by QueenKitty: Apr 17 2018, 07:50 PM
PM
#
Hi, really good question here.

Unfortunately, we don't provide database access, but you know that since you mentioned hosting extra external data in a private database. The problem with this as well is that there is no way for you to directly connect it to "our database" either. All of that is done on the back-end. So this will be a challenge unfortunately depending on how complex you plan the external DB to be.

I can give you an idea that will be key in using an external database: javascript includes. You can print data associated with users via javascript includes; it won't be incredibly efficient but it will work.

There's also another possibility; albiet also extremely inefficient but I have seen it used a couple times: storing data in the user's notepad and retrieving it. This, of course, is only useful for the logged in user's use only.

Sorry that I cannot give better advice; but hope these ideas may be of use to you.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I don't know how you would handle the actual 'level' part, but have you looked into using the Shop system for the EXP/inventory portion of things? There are a lot of sites (my own included) that use those. You might be able to pull some of the variables into some JS to figure out what a player's level would be?

That would be my only alternative suggestion, because the IBStore is built right in. It might be something for you to look into, given you may have a better idea of how you're wanting your system to work.
PM
#

Unfortunately, we don't provide database access, but you know that since you mentioned hosting extra external data in a private database. The problem with this as well is that there is no way for you to directly connect it to "our database" either. All of that is done on the back-end. So this will be a challenge unfortunately depending on how complex you plan the external DB to be.

I can give you an idea that will be key in using an external database: javascript includes. You can print data associated with users via javascript includes; it won't be incredibly efficient but it will work.

There's also another possibility; albiet also extremely inefficient but I have seen it used a couple times: storing data in the user's notepad and retrieving it. This, of course, is only useful for the logged in user's use only.

Sorry that I cannot give better advice; but hope these ideas may be of use to you.

Thank you for the advice! This is very helpful! I plan on it being a very simple database and it's honestly just going to hold some numbers.

I don't know how you would handle the actual 'level' part, but have you looked into using the Shop system for the EXP/inventory portion of things? There are a lot of sites (my own included) that use those. You might be able to pull some of the variables into some JS to figure out what a player's level would be?

That would be my only alternative suggestion, because the IBStore is built right in. It might be something for you to look into, given you may have a better idea of how you're wanting your system to work.

I have looked into it! But I also wanted to have the Shop system for an actual in-game shop. I don't mind hosting it myself and all, it's just been a little challenging to get set up since PHP and HTML don't play very nice with each other http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll