Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

A question on jcink forums in general...
#
I remember (correctly or wrongly) that once upon a time, a few years ago, you said you have deleted lots of inactive forums. Do you still do it?

Because I might end the story on my forum (so it will become inactive, but not unused/ unwanted) but I might open another follow-up, to which this would serve as "first chapter", or read-only archive. And I wouldn't want it deleted just because it seems inactive, but people are still reading it.

Again, this won't happen tomorrow, but in a few months. Still I wanted to ask because I had remembered such a point being made once...
#
We still do this from time to time in batch if I find board(s) massively filled with nothing but spam. It puts a big strain on system resources, unfortunately.

But boards don't need to be posted on to be marked as "active" though, we understand a lot of sites are left up as archives. You can login with your admin account from time to time and it stays active and won't be marked. No posts required.

I recommend downloading a copy of the database as well, so you'll always have your own complete copy.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Thank you very much. I promise it will be no spam (when closing the chapter, turning it read only). I have another past one on IF, and I had no spam since they didn't have where to post it anymore.

With this you reminded me to update the database, I haven't done it for a while http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Elena: Oct 6 2016, 12:28 PM
#
Thank you, that should be no problem.

I should also note that since we had a major spam crisis in 2014, I put in place an automatic disabling of new registrations and guest posts on any board where none of the board staff as a whole has not logged in for more than 1 year. This has worked very well with curbing spam without hindering users. So we've had less boards become spam hotbeds, and less reason for removal. But I'm still often finding spam-filled boards prior to that change around on the system.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll