Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Edit: Proper Image-Scaling
#
Hey guys! First post, first bug... not quite the way I intended on introducing myself.

Anyway, first off I'd like to say that I, among many others you've probably already met, lost a very beloved forum in the "iPBFree" incident. I was a very active member there and happily made tutorials and gave coding support to fellow web designers. It's been a year since, and after losing my forum, I just didn't have the motivation to put all that effort into starting over from scratch, even though the forum was in fact the only form of contact I had with many friends.

About a week ago, I just snapped back into the spirit. I'm bringing it back and I'm going to surprise all of my old friends! But how? iPBFree is gone... Well, InvisionFree is still around and was around since before iPBFree, so why not try them?

So I did. But something was off and I couldn't quite place it. The official website felt too... commercial... and while software was for the most part identical to iPBFree, it felt shoddy and half-assed. It clearly hadn't developed in years and actually lacked a number of basic features I liked about iPBFree. I really don't want to go back to ProBoards.

Then I remembered Jcink. An oddly titled sister site with the same MO as iPBFree. I decided to check it out for the first time a few days ago. DANG. Numerous castaways from iPBFree, an active and welcoming support forum, an administrator who's personally active, and the same if not more features than iPBFree.

I immediately dropped InvisionFree and have since been on a mad web design spree.

It's been over a year with no interim, and I'm shocking myself with how quickly I'm picking up things and remaking my old site from memory bigger and FAR better (it was on high end of the spectrum back then).

I am ecstatic with what Jcink has done for me, and I've been eagerly dropping hours upon hours into my new site to get it all primed and ready to open as soon as possible.

So, yeah... I think I broke it.

Sorry to unload this in what is probably the wrong place in the forums, but I just wanted to express my satisfaction with the service before I go... you know... poking holes in it.

So, anyway, here's my problem:

I have my site closed, have a special forum locked, and have been uploading skin images into it so that I direct link to them easily and place them in my Wrappers and CSS.

I'm not sure what happened exactly, but after uploading and deleting several images in a variety of posts, submitting an edit caused this error to appear:

Attached Image

I was just replacing the images to my Report/Delete/Edit/Quote post buttons and this came up.

I've tried reloading, but that doesn't do anything (even after a cache clear), and I've checked, I seem to be able to access everything else just fine, but I'm now locked out of this one forum thread. Every time I try to open this one thread I get this error. Nowhere else. And I really can't explain it.

I'm really not an SQL guy, so I couldn't tell, but my best guess was that the files I uploaded might've been corrupted. I went into the Admin CP and deleted every single uploaded version of the files I was dealing with at the time, reloaded, and the problem still isn't solved.

What can I do? Is there anything I can do? And how can I avoid this in the future?

My website is this, and the offending thread is this.

It's very important to me to keep that thread and it's attachments intact.

Thanks

This post has been edited by Omnizoa: May 25 2012, 04:27 PM

Attached 1 File(s)
#
Hi Omnizoa,

Glad you are back into forums and have found Jcink. I myself am a IPBFree refugee that's been here almost two years now. It's very rare that those types of SQL errors happen but I am sure that when Jcink gets here he should probably be able to fix it.

However while uploading images to the board does work, you could also upload them directly into your board's FileManager. I usually make folders for all my skins and upload the files into there. This way you can add multiple files without going through the trouble of making it a post each time.

signature
user posted image
#
QUOTE (GMaster479 @ May 17 2012, 10:45 AM)
Hi Omnizoa,

Glad you are back into forums and have found Jcink. I myself am a IPBFree refugee that's been here almost two years now.

Cool, you might remember me as Dogma back then. Always had a jack-o'-lantern avatar.

It's very rare that those types of SQL errors happen but I am sure that when Jcink gets here he should probably be able to fix it.

Cool.

However while uploading images to the board does work, you could also upload them directly into your board's FileManager. I usually make folders for all my skins and upload the files into there. This way you can add multiple files without going through the trouble of making it a post each time.

Brilliant!

I tested it out and it works. I'll have to relink everything if I want to organize my stuff into folders, but it's doable, and it makes salvaging this forum thread much less important (though hypothetically I could have created a second thread and reuploaded again anyway).

By the way, I've noticed that when I upload multiple files at once, my uploads unexpectedly cut off half-way, and I have to upload the rest separately. Is this because of the 3 MB upload limit?
#
I think so. I thought that the file size limit was 3MB but it could be an upload limit.

signature
user posted image
#
Very sorry that you ran into this problem. It looks like there is some sort of bug with removing attachments or something where it doesn't clean the list properly. I'm unable to reproduce it though, so I may be wrong.

I've manually repaired your database and you should be able to see the topic now. If this happens again you can let us know and we'll fix it.

I do recommend using the filemanager for cleaner organization and storage; though regardless of that this should not ever have happened.

By the way, I've noticed that when I upload multiple files at once, my uploads unexpectedly cut off half-way, and I have to upload the rest separately. Is this because of the 3 MB upload limit?

Yes if one of the files is over 3MB once it gets to the one that exceeds the limit, it stops. We should probably change this to just allow the rest of the files through but unfortunately that's how it is right now.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Well, I took GMaster's advice and deleted and replaced all of my file links with files uploaded straight into the File Manager. Now I can access the thread.

I've manually repaired your database and you should be able to see the topic now. If this happens again you can let us know and we'll fix it.

Well, now I'm not certain what fixed it. I thought I subscribed to this topic, but I didn't get any notification.

Yes if one of the files is over 3MB once it gets to the one that exceeds the limit, it stops. We should probably change this to just allow the rest of the files through but unfortunately that's how it is right now.

Thanks a lot, Jcink! Everything works so far, and if the worst I have to expect is rare individual thread errors which get remedied this quickly, we should be great!

My issue is resolved, but I have one more question. What's a "Jcink"?

This post has been edited by Omnizoa: May 17 2012, 04:55 PM
#
Jcink is a man. Jcink is a brand. Jcink is a service. I think that about covers it...

signature
user posted image
#
While this is no longer a relevant topic title, since the thread's still open, I think I'll post another bug.

I was just editing my forums when something wrong.

It started like this:

Category
+Forum A
++Subforum 1
++Subforum 2

I wanted to eliminate Forum A, but keep the posts and stuff in the subforums, turning them into standard forums as part of the Category.

I went to delete A, and it asked me where I wanted to move content in the subforums. I selected the Category.

I clicked delete and the whole thing disappeared. In the Admin CP, it says the Category exists, but there's nothing in it.

I have trashcan enabled for a separate forum, but nothing's in there, all my posts in those subforums are simply gone.

What happened?

This post has been edited by Omnizoa: May 18 2012, 02:36 PM
#
I can confirm this bug. :\

It's possible for me to pull the forums up, they are still there, just stuck in your database. What were their names, do you recall them? If you do, I can fix it quicker.

I will have to patch this problem as well.

signature
#
I've already replaced those threads, so I've no use for them now.

Still it's worth mentioning for the future.

On another hand I have a new problem (I'm just full of them aren't I?).

EDIT:

Okay, I THINK I figured it out. The height and width fields must be blanked, the other field must say 100%, and the entire post needs to be deleted and reposted.

EDIT:

It's additionally confusing and irritating when uploaded images are NOT auto-resized to fit the board if that option is enabled, but hotlinked IMGs are.

EDIT:

The Auto-Resize feature is being really troublesome too. I want people to have their images fit the page, but be as long as they want. Problem is, if both dimensions of the image aren't breached, the image won't resize. So if the image is wider and longer than X, but not as long as Y, it won't resize and the whole page distorts. And if I set Y lower, then the image shrinks smaller than X, and it still doesn't fit the page.

Can we get this fixed?

This post has been edited by Omnizoa: May 19 2012, 02:13 PM
#
...Is there someway to bump this topic without double posting?
#
Attachments are re-sized differently than images I believe. At the bottom of the Topics, Posts, and Polls section you can have attached images resized

signature
user posted image
#
1. Yes, already posted attachments which had thumbnails generated for them need to be reposted after changing thumbnail settings.

2. Attached images, with the thumbnail option disabled will obey the "posted images" resize settings. Or they should be. They do for me on my test board with no problems.

3. I don't know if I can easily fix this... it's tricky to deal with images that are posted from another location. You might just have to play with the setting until you find something that works. We use 300x300 here and it's usually not a problem.

signature
#
Posted from another location?

It's not the image that's the problem, it's how the site treats it's dimensions. If the image breaks either of the "over X/Y is too large" settings, it should scale to fit.

it doesn't do this.
#
This issue is becoming very irritating, can this please be fixed?

Is there some kind of mod that will fix image scaling for me?

This post has been edited by Omnizoa: May 23 2012, 02:08 PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Bug Reports | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 3  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll