Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Registration and sub-accounts
#
I think it would be pretty cool if there was an option to add an account as sub-account as you were registering the new account. Like, if it pretty much had the same info you could input by going into your settings and adding in a sub-account, but included on the registration page as a sort of one-stop thing.

Alternatively - or in tandem, I suppose, if you think it would be useful - it would be cool if accounts were automatically added as sub-accounts if you registered them while already logged in to your parent account, if that makes sense.

I don't really know how doable either is, but as I'm registering a few accounts on a board now it struck me that it would make the process a little simpler for the average user.

Also, while I have you here - is there anyway to add a new option to the sub-account drop down (the "switch account" one) that says something like "+ add account" that would take one to something like /index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=54#ucpcontent Like the other suggestions, it just strikes me as slightly more intuitive, which is my favorite thing about the sub-account system.

signature
user posted image

kindly do not use my site Discord / DM / PM me for support.
#
Basically you're asking for the option to register a new account via the subaccounts area, or to simply have newly registered accounts created while logged in become children?

I think it would work best to do the second idea of having an account automatically added as I would have to incorporate the entire registration form somewhere within the subaccount panel. That would definitely be really nice instead of having to register + link.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I meant sort of the opposite - instead of adding the registration to the sub-accounts section, adding the sub-accounts section to the registration. I'll attach an image to show what I mean. I agree that it wouldn't work within the sub-account panel, because I know that it's difficult to code the registration page to be that narrow (particularly being that I'm one of those people who went ahead and added extra sections to the registration page).

At any rate, I think the second idea could work really well. I imagine it would be easy for admins to write a "quick start guide" sort of thing just instructing people to create their sub-accounts while already logged in, and having everything sort of fall into place from there. I don't mean to speak poorly of anyone specifically, but users can be daft so it's always nice when things can feel a little more automatic.

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
user posted image

#
I see what you mean now. I do like both the idea you've pictured as well as simply being able to register while logged in and designate the new account as a subaccount. BUT I think it's actually even quicker to have it just register than asking for name / pass during signup.

And yes, exactly right about the complexity of the registration form.

signature
#
I agree - I think it would end up working well for new users, without them even realizing the steps in the process. Thanks for considering this request - I know it's not dire, but it'd be a cool feature to have at some point down the road.

signature
user posted image

#
any update on this?
PM
#
If there was we'd post it http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

This is not being developed at this time.

signature
#
I like Owl's idea, so I definitely second this!

I know on SMF and PHPBB have sub-account/link account mods that allow you to register a new account from the UCP that will automatically be linked with the account that's logged in. I would love to see something similar, but I know the work to implement something like that is heavy, so I do like Owl's idea of having it on the registration page if possible.
PM
#
Agreed, I will probably look into things like this after the template dev has concludes

signature
#
QUOTE (Didi @ Aug 18 2016, 01:07 PM)
I like Owl's idea, so I definitely second this! 

I know on SMF and PHPBB have sub-account/link account mods that allow you to register a new account from the UCP that will automatically be linked with the account that's logged in.  I would love to see something similar, but I know the work to implement something like that is heavy, so I do like Owl's idea of having it on the registration page if possible.

To add onto this, I remember an old phpbb site I was on had this feature, and all you had to do was enter in the new username and password, the email, timezone, email settings/other things that were required on the registration form, were all taken from the parent account. Would it be possible to pull those things from the parent account? Because yeah fitting the -entire- registration form into that narrow of a space sounds pretty icky, especially when you consider added fields and just how narrow that space can get on it's own.
PM
#
I think John already mentioned that he wasn't likely to try and put that stuff in that narrow space, though, unless I've misinterpreted what was said?

Personally, having information pulled from the parent account other that the default settings (and I'm kind of spooked by the password thing) would probably be counterintuitive for my uses. I don't know if I'm in the minority here but my set-ups tend to be (for role play sites):

-Parent account: this is a member's personal account where they receive PMs, they vote etc.
-Sub accounts: these are character accounts, so the information is custom fields won't really relate to the info in the parent account, and it would probably confuse my member if that sort of stuff is auto-populated.

Because if most of those setting were the same I would probably just stick to one account.

signature
user posted image

#
QUOTE (owl @ Aug 18 2016, 07:50 PM)
I think John already mentioned that he wasn't likely to try and put that stuff in that narrow space, though, unless I've misinterpreted what was said?

Personally, having information pulled from the parent account other that the default settings (and I'm kind of spooked by the password thing) would probably be counterintuitive for my uses. I don't know if I'm in the minority here but my set-ups tend to be (for role play sites):

-Parent account: this is a member's personal account where they receive PMs, they vote etc.
-Sub accounts: these are character accounts, so the information is custom fields won't really relate to the info in the parent account, and it would probably confuse my member if that sort of stuff is auto-populated.

Because if most of those setting were the same I would probably just stick to one account.

The only custom fields that would be the same would be the ones -required- on the actual registration form. (so you could do OOC name, for example)

It looked almost exactly like the current sub-account page for jcink looks, though you just entered a new username/pass, and it would create the account using the current parent's email. (And to link existing accounts you had to know email, username -and- pass, iirc)
PM
#
I have made a change to the subaccount page and registration process. In the UserCP there is now a button that says "register a new account" on the subaccounts section. This will take you to the registration form while you are logged in. After registration, it will automatically make it a child account with no linking required. The parent account is taken back to the UserCP and the subaccounts index to clearly see the new account was added. You also will not be logged out of your current account.

Although it is still required to fill out the registration form, this is a huge improvement in expediting the creation of subaccounts. Hope this will work better for you Mim and owl give it a try please. I do want to add a quick checkbox whether to actually make it a subaccount or not while registering (with it checked as default) but I'll do that a bit later.

Sorry I wasn't able to respond to this in the thread. It was an awesome birthday present, but unfortunately my state's on fire so I had to spend most of the day trying to not be on fire myself.

One question - to have the sub-account automatically added, do you have to get the the registration page by clicking 'Register New Account' here:

/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=54

Or will it automatically be added for any account that's registered if you're already logged into one?

signature
user posted image

#
Sorry to hear that http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/sad.gif

It will auto be added for any account already logged in with the subaccount system enabled.

signature
#
That's so neat, John, thanks so much!

signature
user posted image

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feature Requests | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll