Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

dice roll question
#
Hi, i really like the dice roll feature as well as alot of other features on jcink, however for the purposes of my game i cant allow players to edit their posts or else i compromise the legitimacy of the roll since it can be edited. on another board, i have seen them get around this by having the rice roll appear in the post details bar of the post. this then doesn't change when editing and is impossible for players to cheat.

is there a way to add a dice roll function to the post details bar on posts in jcink?
PM
#
This other board must not have been hosted by us I'm assuming. Dice rolling isn't a stock feature of most forum software, I bet they reprogrammed/modded it.

Is there a way to do this? Yes, but it's not easy to hack into the system which is why we haven't done it thus far. It's been suggested in the past and is on the back burner.

Unfortunately since you need edits, I'm not sure what else you could do - my suggestion is that when a dice roll is made, have that post handle only the dice roll, then proceed with the action that follows. It's double posting but it does 'resolve' your edit problem.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
    Do you let them use doHTML in the areas where these dice rolls are going to be posted?

You can disable doHTML, and make a custom bbcode template for all their templating needs so you don't need doHTML enabled.

Then if they try to edit the post that has the dice roll in it, it will translate itself into HTML, not the same bbcode, so you know they tried to edit it and cheat.
PM
#
thanks for the suggestions. the dice roll function works fine however i need it to not be in the post because its editable. the base function of how the game works is that they write out their action and post. then by seeing what their roll is, they edit the post to finish it with the result of the roll and what actions that entails. They need to be able to edit the post, but having them just use the bbc in the post will make it impossible for determine if they rolled that or if when editing their post result, they changed the roll to suit their needs.

like i said, i have seen this done on other boards where every post has a dice roll that posts in the post details bar above the written content. this roll doesn't change even if they edit the post. i'm sure its a mod of some kind and i don't know what service they use, but i just need to know if this is somehting that can be done on jcink or if i should look for alternatives.

I suppose an easier question would be, can you add things to the post details bar where it shows the time stamp for the post?
PM
#
Could you have then do one post - one that's just a roll - and then another post that is their actual 'in character' action?

signature
Kindly do not contact me on Discord or PM me for support.

user posted image
#
yeah i can and that's the option were going to use right now. but i would prefer to have something built into the system that did it without them having to double post every time they want to do something.. plus if people learn the format of the dice roll, they can just copy that in and fake their dice rolls.

This post has been edited by clockworkkat: Aug 6 2014, 02:04 PM
PM
#
I agree with what you're saying 100%, just trying to throw something out there that works in the meantime. If that is a concern, as @multiplicity! mentioned if someone posts a dice roll and then edits the page, if you don't have doHTML enabled it will sort of 'break' and let you know someone was cheating. Additionally, if you don't have doHTML on there's no way to 'fake' a dice roll.

signature
Kindly do not contact me on Discord or PM me for support.

user posted image
#
Going off of owl, another thing I have seen people do is to have special forum where dohtml is not enabled. All dice rolls happen there, and people continue threading in their dohtml area.
PM
#
i know what your saying. cause if you try to edit a post then it will show

<span style="border:red solid 3px;"> Dice Roll: 1d10: 6 = 6</span>

and thatsa ll well and fine but if they dont like the roll, they can just delete that and rewrite teh script

Dice Roll: 1d10: 1 = 1

until they get the roll they want. and there is no way to know they did that unless i don't allow editing.

This post has been edited by clockworkkat: Aug 7 2014, 08:56 PM
PM
#
QUOTE (clockworkkat @ Aug 7 2014, 06:54 PM)
i know what your saying. cause if you try to edit a post then it will show and thatsa ll well and fine but if they dont like the roll, they can just delete that and rewrite teh script until they get the roll they want. and there is no way to know they did that unless i don't allow editing.
    Except, if you don't allow doHTML in that specific forum where the dice rolling occurs, they won't get the second result.

They'll get the HTML mess and can't get rid of it when they edit and submit their edits. So you know they cheated and discipline can be dealt.

This post has been edited by multiplicity!: Aug 8 2014, 02:47 AM
PM
#
I think it's pretty obvious that you're not getting it.
So I made you a picture!

user posted image

Notice that we know who tried to cheat because DoHTML is OFF.The dice roll will not ever re-render and be stuck as HTML.

There is one way to cheat, though : erasing the roll HTML and inserting a new one. But once again we are testing our luck and our roll may not be any better.

HOWEVER/ In my experience, most people are quite honest. And the ones that aren't? They get caught eventually because other people notice their shenanigans. So it isn't worth worrying about.
PM
#
to prove my point, im going to keep editing my post deleting the roll and reposting
CODE
[roll]1d10[/roll]
until i get a 10
Dice Roll: 1d10: 10 = 10
that is my problem. you can delete the:

<span style="border:red solid 3px;"> Dice Roll: 1d10: 6 = 6</span>

and just re type

CODE
[roll]1d10[/roll]

until you get a roll you want

This post has been edited by clockworkkat: Aug 8 2014, 06:36 PM
PM
#
He acknowledged that:

There is one way to cheat, though : erasing the roll HTML and inserting a new one. But once again we are testing our luck and our roll may not be any better.

Basically it is as I said from the beginning, there is no way to do this without us separating the dice roll data from the post itself. An alternative method is to have a dice roll topic, and any post in it that is edited should be considered a compromised roll. Or, allow dice rolls in topic and the post itself only has the roll and nothing else. This would be cleaner. Again, any edit should be considered compromised, and your post above is an example of that.

Doing it any other way is not something you can do on your own; it has to be modded into the system. We'll definitely consider this as a future option because I completely understand your need and want for it.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Your post got me thinking and I realized there is one more telling sign. See that "Edited by" at the bottom of your post? Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. If someone edits a post with a diceroll, it's pretty suspicious.

user posted image
PM
#
    Just as an idea going along with the thought of making a separate post for dice roll, you could look at a system of GMing.

I know there's a Pokemon board where, in the event a dice roll is needed to determine what happens in the battle, only the GM can post the dice rolls to the thread.

So basically what happens is the players post their respective actions, and then the GM rolls. After the result has been made (meaning the GM's post is there), the players continue their round. When that's over, the GM posts again, etc.

You'd have to maybe hire a GM for this, just to do dice rolls, but this prevents the members from editing the post with the dice roll because they can't edit the post of the GM.

In short, it's a work-around until it can be made a feature.
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feature Requests | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll