Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Automate one aspect of your forum's managamement
#
I'm sure it has been mentioned, but it would be awesome if I could make my site ratios automatically update with every approved character.

And claims, for sure.

signature
#
QUOTE (SithLordOfSnark @ Jun 15 2016, 01:39 PM)
I'm sure it has been mentioned, but it would be awesome if I could make my site ratios automatically update with every approved character.

And claims, for sure.

I'm seeing most wish there was away to help / automate claims a bit here as well.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I'm back with something else - apologies if I'm going overboard. I think I'm at-

#7 It would be great if we could let non-staff usergroups have access to some multi-mods. My main thought here would be if I could let my members archive their own threads. I already have multi-mods set up to put most threads in the archive just how I like them, and it would be cool if they could have access to them? I guess it's not 100% automated, so sorry if it's an inappropriate suggestion, but it would probably feel pretty automated to my users compared to the system for archiving their threads now. Given that I have the ability for certain usergroups to delete their own stuff, this seems like a logical expansion of their power.

signature
#
QUOTE (owl @ Jun 16 2016, 12:51 PM)
I'm back with something else - apologies if I'm going overboard. I think I'm at-

#7 It would be great if we could let non-staff usergroups have access to some multi-mods. My main thought here would be if I could let my members archive their own threads. I already have multi-mods set up to put most threads in the archive just how I like them, and it would be cool if they could have access to them? I guess it's not 100% automated, so sorry if it's an inappropriate suggestion, but it would probably feel pretty automated to my users compared to the system for archiving their threads now. Given that I have the ability for certain usergroups to delete their own stuff, this seems like a logical expansion of their power.

I second that and anything claims automated.
PM
#
QUOTE (owl @ Jun 14 2016, 06:29 AM)

Try adding this to your CSS:

.signature img {max-width: 550px!important; height: auto!important}

Should do that for you - edit where it says "550px" if you want signatures to be permitted that are larger than that.

Thanks owl! I only just saw this sorry, but this is great, thank you!

signature
user posted image
PM
#
A lot of good suggestions have been made! I will add one, even though I don't know if it counts as an automated function, exactly.

I think it would be cool to have an option in the ACP that allows admins to add and/or replace colors and fonts to the drop-down list, rather than using codes for that.

Edit to add: I remember once upon a time there was talk of a JCINK shoutbox upgrade that would work similarly to cbox.ws, only it would automatically match skins like the shoutbox does currently. Does that count as an automated feature? XD

This post has been edited by Widow's Peak: Aug 1 2016, 08:11 PM
PM
#
QUOTE (owl @ Jun 13 2016, 03:51 PM)
5. Usergroup inactivity - probably helpful for forums of all types. Basically, it would be awesome if I could make it so that if a certain usergroup hasn't logged in for x amount of days they get moved to an archived usergroup.

Something like this would be my #1 choice, though a last log in wouldn't be super helpful for me. I measure inactivity based on posts instead, so a way to sort by last post date would be what I need.

Honestly, I would be thrilled just with a way to mass change usergroups based on last post. I use the "the members last post was over [x] days ago" search feature in the ACP to identify users who haven't posted in 15 days, which we consider inactive. Then I have to manually search for each of those names and change their usergroup to inactive. It would be cool if below the generated list, there were options like "change usergroup for listed users." Other options for that generated list would be cool but are probably too much of a pipe dream... for example, my site miniprofiles have a field for character plot pages, and I archive those when users go inactive. Right now that means looking up each page for each inactive user. An automated way to apply my archiving multi-mod to the threads listed in that custom profile field would be amazing.

This post has been edited by adcaelum: Aug 2 2016, 01:28 PM
PM
#
I agree with the Member Group Totals, Custom Field Display, and Points Assignment options.

Some specifics on the Points assignment:

1. The ability to temporarily turn on a sort of "bonus points awarded" system, where for a specified amount of time, the forum awards a % of, or # of bonus points per post. Better if it can be set for specific groups rather than just an umbrella effect for all groups. As an example, an HP themed RP site can reward all Gryffindor members for winning a competition with extra points for the week.

2. Give points along with a specified Award. This would require an improved Awards system, which I would love. When creating an Award, allow us to specify a number of points awarded along with it, if applicable. That makes the Awards more than just pretty shinies for the user's profile, but also worth something.

And I wanted to add one automation suggestion: The ability to select a premade layout for the forum which can then be customized to suit. Users can select 3-column, 2-column, etc. CSS layouts which will set their site up accordingly.

So for example, in the Skins section of Admin CP, when creating a new skinset you have the option to select a template. The below are just suggestions, I'm not saying all of these have to be included:
user posted image

You pick which one you want, the appropriate base code is inserted into board wrappers and stylesheets, and you go about formatting everything yourself.

Even if there are zero premade classes, color schemes, etc. that go along with these templates, I would find it so much easier to get a site skin looking classy if I didn't first have to fiddle with getting a layout set up every single time.

And if you have no coding experience and don't want to get into something that specific, you just leave things at "default" and nothing changes.

signature
user posted image user posted image
PM
#
is it too late to chime in here?

i agree with several of the aforementioned ones:
--being able to have the member groups update automatically (preferably in a fully customizable fashion)
--allowing members to use multi mods to archive their own threads

to add my own thoughts:
--i would love to be able to queue posts in general! it would make things so much easier when it came to hoarding replies. you could set them all to post at a certain time (kind of like tumblr does)
--having automatic posting templates. for example - a member can put their posting template into something (similar to the way you save a pm) then every time they go to post, boom there's the template. maybe with the option to add two or three of them.
--automatic archiving for everything a member has posted. i know it almost seems ridiculous but the most time consuming thing i do is to go through an inactive member's post list, open every thread they've been in, and archive it one by one. if there was some way to run a mod where you can archive everything they've posted that would be stellar.
PM
#
Not too late for anyone to reply here. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Just popping in with two ideas that occurred to me about three seconds ago, though I'm not sure if they count as "automated" features. Apologies if it they're ill-suited to this thread. And apologies if they've been previously mentioned. If so, you can count this post as a hearty "me too!" for each idea.

1) I would love to be able to "schedule" posts. As an admin, this would be very handy for things like site announcements, updates, events, etc. which sometimes ideally happen on certain days and even at certain times. It would be lovely to be able to type up a regular post, doHTML and all, then set a certain day/time for it to appear in a specific forum or sub-forum. If this feature existed, it would be important for me to be able to control whether it was a board-wide thing or not, as I'm not actually super keen on non-staff members doing this. Perhaps letting staff enable this ability per usergroup would be the most ideal scenario.

2) Like many roleplayers, I run a board that has an application process that involves staff review of a writing sample, then staff posting some sort of acceptance notice below the sample, moving the writing sample thread to an "accepted" forum, then updating their usergroup from a pending usergroup to one of our member usergroups. It would be really cool to do that in one step. Multi-mods let me post the notice, move, and close the thread in one go, but being able to specify a usergroup change for the thread starter would be convenient. On the whole I wouldn't rank this high on my wish-list, but I thought I'd toss it out there all the same.

PM
#
QUOTE (adcaelum @ Aug 16 2016, 07:27 PM)

1) I would love to be able to "schedule" posts. As an admin, this would be very handy for things like site announcements, updates, events, etc. which sometimes ideally happen on certain days and even at certain times. It would be lovely to be able to type up a regular post, doHTML and all, then set a certain day/time for it to appear in a specific forum or sub-forum. If this feature existed, it would be important for me to be able to control whether it was a board-wide thing or not, as I'm not actually super keen on non-staff members doing this. Perhaps letting staff enable this ability per usergroup would be the most ideal scenario.

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

signature
user posted image
#
QUOTE (adcaelum @ Aug 16 2016, 04:27 PM)
Just popping in with two ideas that occurred to me about three seconds ago, though I'm not sure if they count as "automated" features. Apologies if it they're ill-suited to this thread. And apologies if they've been previously mentioned. If so, you can count this post as a hearty "me too!" for each idea.

2) Like many roleplayers, I run a board that has an application process that involves staff review of a writing sample, then staff posting some sort of acceptance notice below the sample, moving the writing sample thread to an "accepted" forum, then updating their usergroup from a pending usergroup to one of our member usergroups. It would be really cool to do that in one step. Multi-mods let me post the notice, move, and close the thread in one go, but being able to specify a usergroup change for the thread starter would be convenient. On the whole I wouldn't rank this high on my wish-list, but I thought I'd toss it out there all the same.

YES TO BOTH! I LOVE THESE IDEAS.

signature
#
Right now, the IBStore awards only points based on posts or gives a bonus when a thread reaches a certain number of posts. I would love if you could configure it to award points based on word count, character count, or some combination of the two per post, to award more effort with more points. As it is, members have to submit threads for staff review, where they're awarded points.

Edit: A slightly more robust Awards System where I can add a number of static Awards and then later assign them to members, instead of having to fill out the same name, icon, and description for the dozen different members who have earned it.

This post has been edited by klin: Aug 17 2016, 11:22 AM
PM
#
QUOTE (adcaelum @ Aug 16 2016, 07:27 PM)

Wait I wanna add this to my own post:

3) I would love a similar system to "schedule" PMs for specific usergroups. For example, I do regular activity checks on my rp forum, and after each check, I send a PM to everyone currently in the Inactive usergroup. It would be rad if I could have that PM saved and go out regularly without me copy and pasting it into the "mass PM" feature of the ACP. It would also be handy to do board-wide scheduled PMs for the same reasons I described for scheduled posts.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 3  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll