ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Ageism/Sexism
#
I wasn't sure where else to post this, but if someone adds a rule and/or bans someone for being over a certain age and male, would this fall under a TOU Violation, or is this one of the rules they're just allowed to have no matter what?

signature
#
A board admin can choose to limit age or sex if they wish but it cannot be hateful. In most instances, I would not personally want to be a member of such a community unless it was for a good reason, but they are free to do so. Good reasons might include: a women's only forum, and those who only want users above 18 on their board.

Generally when it comes to "discriminatory" in the terms of service it is very liberal because it is subjective; a site would have to be deliberately racist or hateful for us to take action.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
QUOTE (John @ Nov 13 2016, 03:48 PM)
A board admin can choose to limit age or sex if they wish but it cannot be hateful. In most instances, I would not personally want to be a member of such a community unless it was for a good reason, but they are free to do so. Good reasons might include: a women's only forum, and those who only want users above 18 on their board.

Generally when it comes to "discriminatory" in the terms of service it is very liberal because it is subjective; a site would have to be deliberately racist or hateful for us to take action.

Okay,

so basically, I got banned from a site for being a male that is over 30, except they're not limiting men under 30 or any females over 30.

That, in my opinion, would fall under the TOU, but this is the exact wording of the rule they added after banning me:

+ update as of 11-12-16: in order to keep our members' safety at the top of our priority list, and because our demographic is mostly early to mid-twenties women, we will not be accepting men over thirty as members at this time, due to prior issues. this is out of concern for our members' comfort and safety.

signature
#
Complex situation, I'm inclined to say that as harsh as that may be, In the context of "safety" and im assuming it IS a women's issues forum it's not against terms. I am confused by their rule, however. How is this being enforced? I'd also like to hear their side about what made them create such a rule to ban +30 men but anywhere under that is fine. What's the safety issue they are having with the over 30 crowd? I'm not seeing anything hateful, though, with that particular rule as described.

We can't go into specifics or further discussion about the board in a public forum but if you have more details you are welcome to submit a report to http://jcink.com/?p=report , I cannot promise you action will be taken at all but with the form you can mention the site link and anything else pertinent.

signature
#
Hi John!

I am the admin of the site in question; we've spoken before on coding problems. If you'd like to speak further with me about this issue and why I created the rule, I'd be happy to do so over email. Right now my site is being harassed by the banned member and several friends so I'm looking to remedy this issue as soon as possible.

Thank you.
PM
#
Both of you can email me at admin@jcink.com with full information. Thank you.

Please note that I will not get involved in any personal conflict(s) or issues, but want to hear both sides.

signature
#
QUOTE (kelizabethn @ Nov 13 2016, 04:44 PM)
Hi John!

I am the admin of the site in question; we've spoken before on coding problems. If you'd like to speak further with me about this issue and why I created the rule, I'd be happy to do so over email. Right now my site is being harassed by the banned member and several friends so I'm looking to remedy this issue as soon as possible.

Thank you.

For your information, I have nothing to do with the site being harassed. I am not petty like that.

I haven't been on the site since reading the PM in which I was informed I was being banned. I have better things to do with my time then go anywhere I'm not wanted.

I was informed of the rule, by someone who I was in constant communication with, that was still a member of the site, because I told them that I was banned and exactly what got me banned.

signature
#
After some discussion with me regarding the 30+ rule, they have removed the rule from their terms and replaced it:

+ update as of 11-14-16: in order to keep our members' safety at the top of our priority list, and because our demographic is mostly younger women, any members found to be acting in an inappropriate or predatory manner will receive an immediate ban. this is to keep our members safe and to prevent anyone from being made to feel uncomfortable.

At this time, I do not find the board breaking ToS with this rule.

If you have sent me an email I did not receive it yet, I would still welcome you to email me and tell me more from your side.

signature
#
QUOTE (John @ Nov 15 2016, 08:52 AM)
After some discussion with me regarding the 30+ rule, they have removed the rule from their terms and replaced it:

+ update as of 11-14-16: in order to keep our members' safety at the top of our priority list, and because our demographic is mostly younger women, any members found to be acting in an inappropriate or predatory manner will receive an immediate ban. this is to keep our members safe and to prevent anyone from being made to feel uncomfortable.

At this time, I do not find the board breaking ToS with this rule.

If you have sent me an email I did not receive it yet, I would still welcome you to email me and tell me more from your side.

I honestly don't need to discuss it further. I am fine with the rule change, and while I didn't do anything wrong, I know where I'm not wanted and don't care that I'm banned, I just hated the ageist and sexist view and literally flipped my lid when I saw it.

signature
#
Ok, I will consider this matter resolved then. The board in question has changed their rules as well.

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

Options ClosedNew TopicNew Poll