Pages: (11) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

"Like" Posts
#
The title says it all. What if you have the option to click a little "Like" button on every post to show how popular it is? Maybe something like the rep system? Personally, I don't want to connect it to Facebook since my forum life is totally separate from my social life, so it would be great if there could be a built-in "Like" system. smile.gif
PM
#
omg I love and hate this idea at the same time.

Loves: I love the fact that it is really not a bad idea, and that I think it might actually be used.

Hates: The whole facebook-like-stuff. Also don't know how easy jcink could implement tit.

signature
Thanks,
JordanH

JcinkNet Family Grandpa
#
Doubt this will be added. Will serve no purpose with the rep system.
#
Thought about this before in the past. I'm mixed on it. This would be cool for admins who want to have more self moderation on the forums and to just see what people within the site are interested in.

I always envisioned it as something like this: You can thumbs up or down a post and it keeps count of how many people thumbed it up. Every time you do, it would be indicated in your profile, and others could see who 'liked/hated' every post. Admins could also set a threshold to hide a post that goes so far into the negatives. I've often thought about having this for the support forums sometimes so people can downvote irrelevant answers but I don't know how that would really work out.

There is a lot that could be done with a system like this installed. It wouldn't be too difficult but like anything else, careful planning, time, etc as it's a quite an extension. I'd like to see more feedback from users.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Would it be similar to the vBulletin like and dislike hack? Personally, I'd probably use it since my board is an e-fed and people would be able to like, dislike a roleplay.

However, like yourself, I'm mixed on it since rep serves almost the same purpose.

Here's a screen of the vBulletin like/dislike hack:

user posted image

That's the Thank You hack, but it's something like that except there'd be a thumbs up bottom below the post for like and thumbs down for dislike..
#
I've been aware of how the thanks hack works, but I always found giant lists of thankers in-topic to be extremely messy. It could be an option, but not not necessarily what I was thinking of.

Here's a 'rough' idea of what I'm thinking of. People can click the count or the link to get the list of appreciators. The thumbs up/down would be included in every post just like that in the corner, where it wouldn't be in the way.

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
#
Ehh, I'm not sure how I feel about this one either. One positive is it would at least get more members logging in to "like" or "dislike" a post. Anything that encourages more activity on a forum is a good thing.
PM
#
I agree. I'd like to do that. Would liking and disliking posts be able to affect reputation? Or could it be an option?

This post has been edited by GMaster479: Sep 14 2010, 04:39 PM

signature
user posted image
#
It can work that way with contributions too. Some people like to 'like' stuff and have what they post liked too. Can you just see someone going "ALL RIGHT! I GOT 30 LIKES ON THIS ONE! I'M 1337." Maybe not that extreme but you get the idea.

GMaster, it could affect reputation if the rep mod is enabled. You could set a rep point reward threshold for having so many likes on a post. It would be a separate feature from the rep system though.

signature
#
QUOTE (Jcink @ Sep 14 2010, 04:33 PM)
I've been aware of how the thanks hack works, but I always found giant lists of thankers in-topic to be extremely messy. It could be an option, but not not necessarily what I was thinking of.

Here's a 'rough' idea of what I'm thinking of. People can click the count or the link to get the list of appreciators. The thumbs up/down would be included in every post just like that in the corner, where it wouldn't be in the way.

That's actually a pretty awesome idea. However, I'd like to know if there would be an option that a user must leave feedback on the thread if they like and or dislike.

I'm for this, and for what it's worth, my community is for this as well.
#
I am completely 100% against any like system. I hate facebook and I hate everything to do with it. What would it honestly serve as?

signature
ΣAE
The True Gentlemen
#
Depends on your board. Lets say it's entertainment site, and someone writes a column. They can see how many people liked it or disliked it. Same thing goes for Sports columns.

Or, if you have a board for coding, people can like or dislike the code. It's actually pretty useful.

This post has been edited by PY: Sep 14 2010, 08:39 PM
#
The 'like' system on facebook is a lot worse than what I've proposed actually. The functionality wouldn't be spammy or anything since it's locked to only liking posts. There will not be outside content allowed. And you don't have to see all the garbage that everyone 'likes' spammed in your face constantly. It'd be different on forums.

I enjoy reddit.com and digg.com so I'm thinking a lot in terms of those directions on how it can help a forum. In my example screen shot, I actually used some digg buttons. Not so much facebook.

signature
#
Could you make the X people so the X is clickable and see a text list of who liked it with a profile link or something like that.

signature
Thanks,
JordanH

JcinkNet Family Grandpa
#
If you clicked the number 42 in my screenshot, you would get a neat pop-up list of everyone who rated the post, including the downvoters. That's the idea.

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feature Requests | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (11) 1 2 3 ... Last » Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll