Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Member Online Today Alteration
#
Filing this as a feature request for Jcink to reference in future.

The ability to set the "Members Online Today" portion to display from the last twenty four (24) hours based on a persons computer time, and not the default board time descending from Midnight.

Meaning if you log in at five (5) p.m. then the board displays the users online today from five (5) p.m. yesterday and not from Midnight of the night before.

signature

user posted image
YouTube | Email: crystal@jcink.com | Blog: Seriously Lacqueing
DeviantArt
#
That would be cool. I always thought that was how it was since it makes the most sense.
#
Invision board does most time based operations based on time zone rather than 24 hour time, so it was done like that first. It does have its advantages - it lets you know who was online "today" within your actual timezone which I kind of prefer for a variety of reasons but certainly see the value in a 24 hour based one.

Ironically - today's top 10 posters is actually 24 hour based and it's one of the few if only sections in IPB 1.x that does it like that. tongue.gif

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
QUOTE (Jcink @ Apr 7 2013, 09:32 AM)
Invision board does most time based operations based on time zone rather than 24 hour time, so it was done like that first. It does have its advantages - it lets you know who was online "today" within your actual timezone which I kind of prefer for a variety of reasons but certainly see the value in a 24 hour based one.

Ironically - today's top 10 posters is actually 24 hour based and it's one of the few if only sections in IPB 1.x that does it like that. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Is there any chance this request will ever be made a reality? I dunno if I'm the person who led to this thread being made, but I know I requested it a few years ago (perhaps on another account that I forgot I had or something, because I don't see it in my topics now).

I would really, really love this feature. My forum has members from all over the world, and it gets confusing for folks when it looks like someone isn't showing up on the online list daily due to timezone differences. It makes people mistakenly think others are inactive, not very interested in the forum, etc. Moreover, guests often evaluate the activity of the forum based on the online list, and I have to pick a random timezone for the board as a whole, so if the board is in EST and a guest comes by at 12:05 AM EST, it might look like no one has been online all day, which is never true.

While I do echo John in that I see benefits for a timezone version as well, I think it would be ideal to give jcink users the choice between the two formats so that we can select which format works best for our forum and needs.
PM
#
I would love to see this as an option! I get far more value seeing who was online over the last 24 hours than I do seeing who has logged in after a particular cut-off.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feature Requests | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll