Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Newsletter, members
#
I may have missed something, please let me know if this feature is already available ( I can't find it though)

A Newsletter function for admins:

Basically with the platforms I have used previously, this simple function allows you to post up a news item about your board. It may be done from the ACP, or it can also be done as a post. In the latter case, staff have the option to pin the post and then 'announce topic', when you select that option you can then check the groups you wish to inform or all registered members. Once done, all members get an email alert as if subscribed to the topic.

Using the ACP Newsletter function is probably even simpler. Its usually placed under 'Administration'. All you need to do with that function is just click on it, fill the field in with what you wish and enter. Done. Everyone gets an email.
PM
#
In the interim, you can use 'moderation options' to pin something as an announcement (pictured below).

Additionally, you can Log into your ACP > Click on "Users and Groups" and under this you will find the options: Bulk Email Users (I believe this only generates a list of emails you can use, unless you're in premium), Mass PM Users, or Mass Alert Members

Functionally giving you a choice to E-Mail, PM, Alert members or do a combination of the three. Since we have Out-of-Character accounts on the site, I generally choose to pin things as announcements and then send an alert to those accounts and it works very nicely.

This post has been edited by owl: Oct 19 2017, 03:01 PM

Attached 2 File(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

signature
user posted image
#
As Owl described there are basically multiple ways to communicate a newsletter to all members via Admin CP by Mass PM or Email that link to a topic or directly insert the newsletter.

To use email, however, your board needs to be premium. The reason for this is due to abuse of said feature in the past; and making it a paid feature curbed it drastically since there's some accountability.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Yes I noticed the bulk email, which I can only use via my own email provider as the ACP only gives me the email addresses of members. I guess that would be fine so long as the said email didn't end up in a spam closet on the receiving end.

If in using the moderator option, 'announcement' how do members know about that unless they log in?
PM
#
If in using the moderator option, 'announcement' how do members know about that unless they log in?

They don't. That feature is meant to be a global sticky topic only. Owl was saying that they make an announcement and then send out a mass email or alert about it with the link to it.

signature
#
Ah...shame. Would be darned handy to let people know when you've done something special or needed to notify them enmasse. Email works I guess.
PM
#
You could also PM or alert them. ^^ In the interest of knowing more about this request, exactly how would you like to notify people that isn't currently available?

signature
user posted image
#
I did do the mass PM thing and since it also went to my own account I instantly checked my email notices--- nothing? So I am guessing with the other members it would be the same.

As I stated earlier, as with SMF, Zetaboards, phpBB and others, you simply go into the ACP and add a newsletter which all members get email notice of automatically. That happens whether you are using the free board or a hosted one.

The problem is, this is a new board (well a month old) I am still struggling terribly to get things set up the way I am used to having. I am at the point of such extreme frustration with it now, I feel like dropping it and starting over on a different forum host. I was told Jcink is the best, its simple and easy to use. It hasn't been for me. I know it is good, I've seen great Jcink boards, even been a member on one. But I cannot get this done, its just so difficult.
PM
#
Mim:

I did do the mass PM thing and since it also went to my own account I instantly checked my email notices--- nothing? So I am guessing with the other members it would be the same.

Mass PM will not send any email with it unless you are premium.

Sorry that it is not working as expected; but abuse of the mail system was too great. So it's a paid feature only. Before premium, it wasn't even an option at all. We will not be changing this unfortunately due to high levels of abuse.

That happens whether you are using the free board or a hosted one.

Then that is the choice the hosting provider made regarding email. It's all well and good to just allow people to openly send email until spammers figure it out and abuse it.

I must say we are always here to try to help you however we can and encourage you to keep trying; but in the end you may just decide the service is not for you. We even made a little improvement recently per one of your suggestions -- but I will be upfront and just tell you that this will not change. If this feature is critical for you; you will either need to get premium (which does not make sense logically given you are generally frustrated with us) or consider a new provider, unfortunately.

signature
#
I can deal with it this one time. I just need to let the few members who have joined know when we will be ready to roll.

I need to ask though just out of curiosity, how was the system abused?
PM
#
spammers would create "sleeper" boards, build them up, and send spam email, getting the server blacklisted from sending any email at all. with it being a free service, they can just come back in again and again. that was just one case of abuse.

signature
#
Ah, that then is perfectly understandable. Sux doesn't it. You have to wonder what they get out of it?
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feature Requests | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll