Pages: (6) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Icyboards -> Jcink convertor
#
Hey John,

I just read the announcement from Spork about Icyboards shutting down, he mentioned you guys are doing a convertor.

Just curious what's the timeline for the converting looking like, also will it convert everything? (Including webpages that were made with html)

Thanks!

signature
user posted image
PM
#
I expect it to be done in a couple of weeks -- I'd like to get as much of the data in as possible and really do a clean conversion is the reason why. This news was brought to me and was as big of a surprise for me as it is for you guys, unfortunately, so we're jumping right into the situation with you. It's very nice that the database is being provided for free so that this can be done.

I already have a rough MyBB converter from a while back but it broke at some point and there just wasn't enough interest to bother with fixing it. So, some of the foundation is already done, but -- again I want to fix and also really refine it.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Thank you John, glad to hear it and looking forward to the convertor. Thanks for all your hard work.. and the amount of work you will have to do with two hosts just peacing.

signature
user posted image
PM
#
Hello John.

I'm a member of icyboards who came to that forum because my forum was sucked into another...place...

I'm very glad to know that there will be a conversion process! Thank you so much for the time I am sure it will take to get this set up. Would it be helpful/not helpful for me to give a list of a few things I am really hoping will be part of the conversion?

Thanks again!
#
Sure, it would probably be helpful and I could answer those questions for others that are thinking about it as well.

signature
#
John,

I am also a refugee from icyboards and would like to use your offer.

If I set up a board now and get it ready, would you add my data afterwards or does it have to be set up when the database is ready?

thanks

Alan
PM
#
So, here is my list, and while I'm sure that a lot of this is just par for the course, I have never done a database transfer, so please do forgive anything I have in this list which could be considered obvious! However, when my previous board, before IB, was sucked unceremoniously into another platform, pretty much all of everything was lost, except actual text.

Basic Structure
Forums, subforums, and sub-sub forums, ideally keeping all the nesting intact;
Descriptions for forums;
Forum permissions (in terms of admin only and also my board has an over 18 smut area);

Plugins
First, I do understand that plugins are not always transferable (at least from my understanding), and I'm not sure if your board set up allows them or if your MyBB will have access to them all, but this is one I rely on:

Thread Descriptions - I've renamed mine Timestamps and pretty much every thread has a timestamp in the Thread Description spot; this was created by IB Forum Hosting. If there is any possible way to have this be something that can be converted on over, it would be amazing.

I'm not SURE if this one is a Plugin or not, but also Thread Prefixes. Call me a little over the top or OCD (either works), but I have a thread prefix for every character on our board - past and present - which we use to indicate who the poster of the thread is seeking to thread with.

Skin Themes/Templates

I already attempted (and failed) to download the XML and load it. I'm hoping that the conversion will move all this with it, particularly as you indicate that you're setting up the MyBB.

Users & Groups

We are a small board in terms of members, but we have 141 account names. Are these accounts something that transfers over? Which actually brings up another question: what happens in a conversion with the posted threads? Do the names of who posted what move over?

So, I guess not so much a really LONG list but my top important things, all of which I understand may not convert exactly perfect and may require tweaking on my part.

John, seriously, thank you. My board just moved a year ago and we were just nicely settled in. I'm already hopeful that this switch will be far smoother (hey! we don't have to copy/paste 10,000+ threads over!), but change is always stressful.

Also, I'm willing to throw my board over a guinea pig, if you need that at all. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

This post has been edited by Quillnparchement: May 26 2018, 05:13 PM
#
Basic Structure

Yes, basic structure will be there. This includes:

-Categories
-Forums & Subforums
-Members (passwords will need reset)
Plugins

Plugins aren't part of the database structure and aren't transferable, just to clarify. We have topic descriptions though, is that the same thing? Not totally sure, let me know. Thread prefixes are technically doable using the post icon feature but again I'm not totally sure how that works on IB so I'll have to check it out. In general, I will be honest, it is not likely that I will be adding a lot of new features though that IB has right now unless they are quick to implement. If IB has some critical plugins/features that we can't quickly implement I will let you know since that may be a deciding factor on whether or not you will switch.

Skin Themes/Templates

Since MyBB's template structure is totally nothing like ours, skins will be not transferred.

Those considering a move should make a test board and try to implement their design on our service.

Users & Groups

All 141 accounts will transfer over, but all of these users will need to reset their passwords. The names of who posted what and accounts associated will be retained. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

signature
#
John,

That will do me. I can live without the plugins and skins moving over. I am mainly concerned with forums and posts.

I've got around 490 users.

I've created a test accound (testcb1300) and am playing now. It is all very familiar.

Thanks

Alan
PM
#
Basic Structure

Excellent. That really is the most important bit, isn't it?

Plugins

As I had never encounter plugins before IB, I am not holding tight to them! LOL! And yes, I do believe that topic descriptions is the same! I set myself up a little test board to fool around and just set up a thread testing that feature. That is a relief!

I'm not sure how quick Prefixes is to implement or not. If it's easy, yay! If it's any sort of hassle, then no worries. We never used them until IB, so we can go back to our old school method.

Skin Themes/Templates

Well then, I know what my goal for saving is to be! I already found that jcink skins have a dual sidebar template which we have actually MISSED so much.

Users & Groups

Oh relief! My members will be very glad to hear that!

If I think of anything else, I'll ask. Right now, I feel a lot of relief! Thanks so very much, John!
#
Thanks for keeping us updated, John, and thanks for welcoming us Icyboards refugees into the Jcink fold.
PM
#
I would really like Thread Prefixes in general on Jcink, I need them for my forum. So add me to the list of people concerned about that. Other than that this offer has been almost flawless. Much love.
PM
#
QUOTE (Quillnparchement @ May 26 2018, 05:11 PM)

Forum permissions (in terms of admin only and also my board has an over 18 smut area);

I think John may not have noticed this but also in terms of over 18 forum content the board will also need to have Premium Service on it to disable ads as that content is not acceptable to most ad distributors.

To learn more about the Premium Service, cost, and features you can read through here. As this is likely information some other boards may need as well when looking into getting their board converted.

signature

user posted image
YouTube | Email: crystal@jcink.com | Blog: Seriously Lacqueing
DeviantArt
#
Ah yes, that's an important thing for all of those moving from IB to consider.

"Unofficially" IcyBoards permitted 18+ forums as long as they were hidden from guests. That is a huge violation of Google Adsense's terms of service, so that's a no-go here unless you have Premium service. Contrary to popular belief it does not matter that it is only text, and in some cases, it's even worse that it's text since google adsense can easily read the page.

More can be read about the terms of service regarding topics like this here: https://jcink.com/main/wiki/faq-tos

signature
#

signature
Oh noes the snobolds!

user posted image https://discord.gg/A5DmErU (Community ZetaBoards Discord for updates on the ZB transfers.) user posted image
ZB transfers have begun.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (6) 1 2 3 ... Last » Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll