Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Bulk Mail through MailChimp?, or similar
#
I have no idea how this would be implemented, but I've started using MailChimp to handle some of my other mass communications--and I really like the statistics I get back.

It might be a way to get bulk mail functioning well, and letting MailChimp sort out spam/unsubscribes/and other what not. Even as a feature of the upcoming premium service, it would be pretty nifty.

There's still a need for users to register their own MailChimp account, but mailing is free for up to 2000 users with 12,000 emails a month... enough for most of us!
PM
#
This could be a viable option for us to defer having to deal with email to somewhere else. I like the idea of it. I can't honestly say if this would work though without more research into the site and especially the mailchimp programming interface ( since your JFH forum would have to "sync" with your mailchimp account ) but I'll keep this in mind as something to look at.

Are you currently able to use this service via the email list provided to you in the Admin CP as it stands, though? Or does it have to be in a certain format to be imported to mailchimp. Because we could just easily offer that too and not have to deal with any crazy integration schemes.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
It does allow you to import the list of emails (list needs to be reformatted into a single column first though) as a copy-and-paste.

I know IPS have Mandrill integration for their bulk mail service now: http://mandrill.com/

The only problem I can see with using the list of emails currently given by the board is keeping the mailing list on MailChimp updated and correct.

Members who don't want to receive emails would have to unsubscribe through the board, and through the MailChimp service -- otherwise the email address will be kept or constantly added on one list or the other.

MailChimp also deletes email addresses from your list that bounce back, and generally makes sure duplicates are removed and everything is kept clean.

A temporary alternative might be an option to output the email list formatted for a CSV file? Ex:

EMAIL | ACCOUNT NAME | REGISTRATION DATE

So that admins then have slightly more useful data when the statistics come back?

And then maybe a 'last fetched' date listed somewhere, so admins could get only the emails of new registrations to add to their lists (so that only new members wanting to receive board email are added, and users can one-click unsubscribe from the MailChimp list)?
PM
#
Ah I understand. I think I could definitely allow output of the list as a csv file for sure. Last fetched / fetch all emails would be very easy to do as well.

I guess the only real way for it to work best though would be for the board to work in sync with MailChimp itself whenever an email address is updated or changed. Or a member account is deleted. Etc.

signature
#
Yeah... even just a button to 'update MailChimp list' for a manual sync before composing a bulk mail.
PM
#
Yeah. That's exactly what I was thinking of, because otherwise we'd have mailchimp hooks all over the system every time an account update was made and that's certainly not a good idea.

Good stuff for us to think about, thanks for the suggestion by the way.

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feature Requests | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll