Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Security Information [SOLVED]
#
Hello, this isn't exactly a request for help per se, but I did want to write to you guys with my issues/story and what have you, just for the future.

I started an Online Reality Game community on Invisionfree in 2012, kind of a splinter from an original board. And that lived for about a year and then we got hacked by people who were banned from the community ((and for good reasons, obviously))

And then I started over again on another Invisionfree board. And that worked out from Dec 12th, 2012 until today. When this happened:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/GTFO/index.php?act=idx

My board was called ORG Yuniverse and the GTFO was just an incarnation of "Games that ****ing own" so that some of the undesirables wouldn't find the link.

Anyways, their support told me that it was due to maybe someone deleting my board or someone getting into my account. Which I told them was impossible, because my password was made up of 25 random characters, I checked it on one of those password check sites, and it said it couldn't be cracked for 19 billion years or something basically. But they told me that even if it was, that my password was only as safe as my email account password. Which was also insanely lengthy and impossible to crack. Because the first time I was hacked, they also tried to get into my facebook too, so I just put crazy passwords on everything. And no two alike.

Then another board vanished and support directed me to this thread:

http://if.invisionfree.com/topic/5203697/1/#new

And when I posted there, and said well maybe they needed to check their servers or logs, they still say that it's probably not related and that they can't ever help me get my board back.

My gaming community had about 320 players/posters in it. And I am trying to get them all back now. But it's difficult, because all the records of email addresses and all of that died with my board.

I have basically set up a new board with jcink for my gaming community. Because I have been using your boards for games since earlier this year. I asked here for support questions on mods and some skinning stuff. But that was simply for games. Now this is going to be the new home of my community once it gets back in order.

So my questions for you are...

Will what happened to my old board happen here?

How can I stop something like that from happening, even with all the password protection?

If I buy the premium service, will my board be able to be recovered or backed up. Or can that happen at all with you guys?

I am quite interested in all of this. And I am happy to make Jcink my home. So please get back to me with any info or help with this. Thanks much. -Bz

signature
user posted image

Real time Survivor, Big Brother and many other reality show Role Playing and Strategy Games. PM me for more info!
PM
#
That's really strange. A 25 character password should have been enough to prevent someone hacking in and renaming the board or removing it.

I can only think of 2 other things in my opinion that may have happened, either an email compromise or simply data loss on InvisionFree. Two of you on z13 are in that topic with the same issue at the same time... obviously there is no way to tell, but because of that I am suspecting the latter is the issue.

While I'd like to make the claim that something like won't EVER happen here... of course nothing is totally infallible. However, we do what we're supposed to, make back ups, watch the condition of the hard drives etc in the server. I can't remember the last time there was any data loss. So, is it more honest to say you have a 0.01% chance of your board being lost here?

But I want to point out that there is one big difference between our service anything ZB offers; it's that you don't have to trust us with your data's safety entirely. Full database backups are a free feature of our services. So if something had happened to your board on our service for whatever reason, and you had downloaded a copy of it, we could restore it for you.

You would not be in the position you're in right now had the same thing occurred (hypothetically) if you were using our service and made your own back ups.

Obviously I am biased but I would just like to say that InvisionFree is essentially a legacy product that is borderline abandonware. It's definitely not as secure or even up to date. Really no one should be using it anymore, but I know many like yourself that still were because they are simply trapped and unable to get their database without paying a huge fee.

You are of course welcome to pay for premium service, but database backups are free and always will be as I mentioned. A lot of other perks are provided with premium that you might find appealing.

I have continued working with an enhancing the original IB platform for around 8 years now, and the core has had lots of security fixes and feature enhancements. Our service is like night and day compared to InvisionFree.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Oh, and someone named GracerzFierce just tried to troll and threaten you in this topic. I am not sure who they are but I deleted it after I saw it.

It was very strange. Was this topic posted anywhere that would invite that type of activity? (Not accusing you of doing it, just curious as I have no clue what that was all about and may help you figure out who did this.)

signature
#
You should probably log their IP then, because I am pretty sure it's one of the people I had banned from my community. Has to be, since they were bragging at another board about mine being gone. And I wouldn't put it past them to have stalked me over here. Now you can see what I'm dealing with? Sorry that that's followed me here. But please keep a record of their IP and other information, since it might be useful someday if anything happens to this new board.

That said, I know Invisionfree is completely abandoned and all their support would tell me is that if I set up shop at Zetaboards instead, that I would have better security and they just kept giving me the runaround.

To be honest, you did not have to sell me on jcink. It's why me and my crew moved here as soon as the old board went down. It was my first choice and will be my only choice from now on. Thank you for taking the time to let me know that any data won't be lost as long as I keep up with making sure it's preserved. That will be done and I am strongly considering going premium, just because it is a private board and all the perks are great too.

I appreciate your help and knowledge with all of this. Thanks much. <3

QUOTE (John @ Oct 23 2014, 04:29 PM)
Oh, and someone named GracerzFierce just tried to troll and threaten you in this topic. I am not sure who they are but I deleted it after I saw it.

It was very strange. Was this topic posted anywhere that would invite that type of activity? (Not accusing you of doing it, just curious as I have no clue what that was all about and may help you figure out who did this.)

Just to elaborate further. The entire ORG community I am from knows my board went down. And there are a couple of other splinter boards talking about this right now. And some members posted the new link. So they are probably scoping things out and stalking me.

Now you can see why I had issues? Immature haters can't leave well enough alone. There were reasons they were banned from my community, and this type of behavior is one of them.

This post has been edited by Blondzilla5150: Oct 23 2014, 06:40 PM

signature
user posted image

Real time Survivor, Big Brother and many other reality show Role Playing and Strategy Games. PM me for more info!
PM
#
You should probably log their IP then, because I am pretty sure it's one of the people I had banned from my community. Has to be, since they were bragging at another board about mine being gone. And I wouldn't put it past them to have stalked me over here. Now you can see what I'm dealing with? Sorry that that's followed me here.

I can understand, it's no worry. Since people know where you are it makes sense they found this. I was thinking that somehow someone was watching your communication and that would have been a bit spooky.

Would you like this topic to be deleted?

signature
#
This topic does not need to be deleted. But locking it would probably be a good idea? Because I can see some of them troll spamming it.

But I do want to keep a record of this somewhere, so keeping it would be fine.

Thanks much again for everything. <3

signature
user posted image

PM
#
This topic has been solved. If you need anymore help please post a new thread. Thanks for choosing Jcink services.

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

Options ClosedNew TopicNew Poll