Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Is there any way to make a custom field editable for admins only and viewable for members as well?
#
I've been working with the custom fields lately and I am trying to figure out if there's a way to make them editable for admins only but at the same time viewable for all members.

If I set the "Field can be edited by the member?" to No, the field will be hidden from any members and I don't want that. Is there any way I can make it viewable for everyone but editable for admins only?
PM
#
This is a feature I have working on a few sites to great success. In the "Custom Profiles Fields" section under "Users and Groups" in the ACP, you should be able to accomplish this by selecting "No" for both "Hide from the member's profile?" and "Field can be edited by the member?"
PM
#
I have them both set to "No" yet I actually made a test account to see what members are able to see and I can't see anything other than two custom fields which are editable by members.
PM
#
What does your mini profile code look like, and what's the field number in question? Do you have the skin visible somewhere?
PM
#
So, the answer to this question is both "yes and no" -- bear with me here while I explain it.

Field can be edited by the member?

If no, user cannot edit information, field can only be seen by admins and super mods. Admins can edit information via ACP

So if this is = No...

This information is accurate for default main profiles -- however, it does not apply at all to mini profile profiles. You can use the <!-- |field_#| --> variable in a mini profiles and everyone will be able to see it regardless of this setting. The variables don't have any binding to such things (this is purposeful).

But the default main profile does. It will hide the fields from the default profile if that setting is ticked. However -- you guessed it -- if you are using a custom main profile template it, the setting won't prevent you from using <!-- |field_#| --> variables, just like the mini profiles.

In short: yes, this is possible if you build your own mini profile and/or custom main profile template. But not without either.

This setting is honestly a little confusing because of this and I will probably change it in the future.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Thanks for the tips! Also I have one last small problem. On the mini profile, the awards I would like to have a small gap between them. Is there any way to do that cause when I tested the awards they were going one in another.
PM
#
Currently is not possible to customize the output of the awards variable, unfortunately.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll