Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

forum crashes
#
hi! so for the past couple of weeks, my site (here) has been regularly, and randomly, crashing. for me, i get google chrome's "aw snap" error, but i've recently been getting this error too. usually i would assume that it's just me, and a problem with chrome, but i've done what chrome recommends and the problem persists. i've also asked around and quite a few of our members are having the same problem, which has led me to believe that something on the site itself is causing the crashes. however, i'm not sure what the problem is, and i've asked one of my admins to debug the site and they can't find anything, so i was hoping someone could point us in a direction that will help fix the problem ;__;

i've been informed by one of my members it's not just my site that crashes. there are some others, but it's not every site, so... basically, i'm at a complete loss!

thanks in advance!

EDIT: i should mention that we've had this skin since march or april, and the site worked fine up until a couple of weeks ago.

This post has been edited by valka: Aug 9 2017, 04:24 PM
PM
#
"Aw, snap" in google chrome indicates a rendering problem with something on your board. To be specific, it's not a server side issue. The fact that it's not every site leads me to believe that chrome is barfing on some script, perhaps one that is shared between the site(s) affected. I'll take a look later and see if I notice anything suspicious.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
thanks john! any ideas would be insanely helpful. this is such a frustrating issue x_x
PM
#
I'm leaving your forum open in google chrome refreshing to see if it triggers anything for me. So far, nothing.

signature
#
it's still been crashing for me and each of my members v__v one of my members is on another site that crashes, which i've asked for the link to, in case that helps at all.

http://misfitsrp.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx
PM
#
Unfortunately I am unable to reproduce this issue... I also don't see anything out of the ordinary on your site. Are there any other specifics that might be relevant to this issue?

signature
#
it usually happens when switching accounts, but for me it happens just as much with loading any page. i'll go to load a page, it'll start loading, then it'll suddenly crash, sometimes multiple times in a row with refreshing before it fixes itself. i've also had the same issue happen on another chrome browser, and as a guest as well, so it doesn't seem to be limited to being logged in :x the thing is as well, sometimes it'll load perfectly fine, no issues, but then a few hours later it'll start crashing, then it'll be fine for a little while, then more crashes. i can give you timestamps for each crash that has happened to me if you think it will help?

i'm sorry i can't be much help at all! it's just a frustrating issue that happens multiple times per day for most of our members, and i thought this was the best place to come for a fresh look at the forum to see if there's anything wrong orz

EDIT: and as i refresh my site after sending this, it crashes twice in a row l-lol

EDIT #2: one of my members has just let me know that it'll load fine, then she'll try to scroll, and it'll crash. probably just another rendering issue but it might help somehow.

This post has been edited by valka: Aug 11 2017, 06:04 PM
PM
#
I understand and I would be frustrated too, but I'm also at a loss myself because I can't even make the issue happen for me. The timestamps won't help any because there is nothing for me to look up in the server log regarding it that will detail the crash.

What I would like you to try doing is... try using incognito mode, and stick to it. See if you experience any crashes in incognito. Reason why I want you to do this is because it will rule out any extensions causing the crashing.

Do you run windows or mac? If you run windows, try the chrome cleanup tool also:

https://www.google.com/chrome/cleanup-tool/index.html

The fact that it loads fine also and then someone pointed out they had a problem after scrolling definitely indicates a browser rendering issue. But why is the question because I don't see anything out of the ordinary on your board... hmm

signature
#
i literally went to go use incognito, and not even five minutes into using it, it crashed. double checked and there's no extensions enabled on my incognito mode, so it's definitely not an extension.

i'll give the cleanup tool a try though and i'll get back to you with the results!
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll