Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

hide threads, but link to -or- help files
#
I've got a weird situation and I'm not sure if it's even possible to do this, but here we go!

what I need: A way to give members a link to a thread/popup with some information. I need several of these (20+)

Idea 1: Hiding threads, but having readable on link
Is there a way to hide threads from a group, while still having them be readable on link? So if I want a section that's admin-group-only, but I want to be able to link members to individual threads. I've played with the settings a bit to try to make this work, but I haven't had much luck.

Idea 2: Using help files
So I think this could be the easy solution, but I don't know much about the help files, can't find helpful support threads, and the documentation for these seems to be missing Administration documentation). My questions here are (1) how do I link to individual help files?, (2) can I use bbcode to style text in the help files?, and (3) is there a max number of help files?

Thanks for all your assistance. I know this is an unusual request!
PM
#
Idea #1. You can hide threads in a round-about way. Perhaps this will help.

#1. Create a new category. Call it "Hidden." Choose the option: Hidden from forumhome list - can access via URL - removed from forum jump

This creates a hidden category that can still be accessed by someone who knows the url.

#2. Now create a forum within this category that this group can read, but only admins can post in it is simple with the permissions system. Give admin read/reply/start permissions, and give member only read.

You will be able to link topics to people from this forum. Please note that if a member figures out the forum URL or category URL itself, of course, they can read every topic there. It's hidden -- not made inaccessible. I don't know if this is sufficient for you but I am mentioning it.

Idea #2. (1) I don't think you can (2) you cannot use bbcode in the help files (3) there is no limit to the number of help files

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
QUOTE (John @ Dec 24 2017, 10:24 AM)
Idea #1. You can hide threads in a round-about way. Perhaps this will help.

#1. Create a new category. Call it "Hidden." Choose the option: Hidden from forumhome list - can access via URL - removed from forum jump

This creates a hidden category that can still be accessed by someone who knows the url.

#2. Now create a forum within this category that this group can read, but only admins can post in it is simple with the permissions system. Give admin read/reply/start permissions, and give member only read.

You will be able to link topics to people from this forum. Please note that if a member figures out the forum URL or category URL itself, of course, they can read every topic there. It's hidden -- not made inaccessible. I don't know if this is sufficient for you but I am mentioning it.

Idea #2. (1) I don't think you can (2) you cannot use bbcode in the help files (3) there is no limit to the number of help files

This is so awesome! Thank you! I'm not too worried about them figuring out the category if they dig; I just don't want it to be pasted on the front page.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll