Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

All My Suggestions
#
These are all my suggestion sumed up to 1 topic and more will be added...

1. Newer skins in the import skins mod

2. The quick log in at the bottom away and make it at the top like a real ipb

QUOTE (Jcink @ November 04, 2008 11:57 pm)
So essentially you're saying that we need a new default skin kind of like what iPBfree has done with their boards, with a few added CSS elements?

I think that new skin gun is making (if he allows it) should be the new default skin

4. A forum directory set up to JFB forums ONLY like http://s1.zetaboards.com/zb/directory/

5. A thing to set up paid subscriptions on your forums like IPB so members can like donate money or buy like vip or something..

6. The pop up pm like ipb 2.3.6 that has the tabs and stuff

7. heres a neat suggestion, were you know how in JFB inorder to add skins(that are 1.3 skins) you have to create new things well i was thinking were can download any ipb 1.3 skin from like ivisionize.com or other places and are able to upload them to the from to work like having a real ipb

Macro Section - have an upload to import the macro xml and this images will all be uploaded.
Board Wrappers - have an upload to import the board wrappers xml so its all set up
Style Sheet - have an upload to import the skin xml

then all we have to do is set the skin set and were done...

This post has been edited by coolmike454: Nov 12 2008, 09:38 PM

signature
The Respected:
[Jcink|posiden5665|Gunblaza]
#
I worked on a code for the donation thing a while back, still got it lying around. If the new features Jcink brings forth are cracked up to what I need could be looking at finishing it off real soon wink.gif

signature
There is a war going on for your mind. Those who seek to occupy it will stop at nothing. The battlefield is everywhere. There is no sanctuary. There are no civilians. You have two choices: surrender or enlist

Why do people feel the need to copyright codes in a way that prevents further editing. As long as the copyright remains intact your work is noted; allowing further editing/release spreads your name as a coder further and creates greater possibilities from something you created - that cannot be a bad thing. Next time you release a code, allow it to be modified and I won't set my zombie minions upon your cookie stash user posted image

My To-Do List

* I miss when this had stuff in it user posted image *

Or Check Out My Test Forum For All My Custom Codes/Skins!
Codes: 11 || Skins: 3 || Macro Sets: 3
#
oh that would be cool, you have any previews of it?

signature
The Respected:
#
And my theme is actually coded on my computer, so its finished. But I think jcink will be pretty impressed with it, hopefully.

signature
user posted image

Shift UI Development Thread
"Design is not just what it looks like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs
#
Well I just went ahead and re-installed it at my Test Forum (or what I have). I'll be opening a topic about it soon I would imagine, what I have so far is pretty basic stuff and it needs a large re-design.

signature
There is a war going on for your mind. Those who seek to occupy it will stop at nothing. The battlefield is everywhere. There is no sanctuary. There are no civilians. You have two choices: surrender or enlist

Why do people feel the need to copyright codes in a way that prevents further editing. As long as the copyright remains intact your work is noted; allowing further editing/release spreads your name as a coder further and creates greater possibilities from something you created - that cannot be a bad thing. Next time you release a code, allow it to be modified and I won't set my zombie minions upon your cookie stash user posted image

My To-Do List

* I miss when this had stuff in it user posted image *

Or Check Out My Test Forum For All My Custom Codes/Skins!
Codes: 11 || Skins: 3 || Macro Sets: 3
#
QUOTE (Gunblaza @ November 12, 2008 08:44 pm)
And my theme is actually coded on my computer, so its finished. But I think jcink will be pretty impressed with it, hopefully.

oh that theme is so good, i think it should be the new default JFB skin.
QUOTE (chakka @ November 12, 2008 08:44 pm)
Well I just went ahead and re-installed it at my Test Forum (or what I have). I'll be opening a topic about it soon I would imagine, what I have so far is pretty basic stuff and it needs a large re-design.

cool can't wait to see this, gunna be great.
added another one, number 7 is my biggest suggestion

signature
The Respected:
#
Just thought I would look over them and throw in my view given my experience with suggestions.

1) It's not as simple as adding skins, we need to search for decent looking skins, and get permission from the creator, which in most cases does not want their skin used as a default option on a host they never heard of, or do not know much about.

2) This is a real IPB, it's just an older version. By making that change all we'd be doing is mimicking the new version, plus many of the people here like the current software, and don't want EVERY little detail to be the same, which is why so many of the new features coming out that the new IPB's have are either slightly different, or set up differently.

3) The reason it hasn't been changed to date was that the default skin symbolizes the software hosted, as when the skin is seen, people who know their boards recognize immediately that this is indeed IPB 1.3. Another issue would be copyrights, a copyright in the default skin would look bad, so some sort of a deal that can't just be revoked would need to be put in place.

4) This is a common suggestion actually, though jcink has stated though it would be nice, its just not priority at the moment.

5) Would love to see this.

6) We have something similar to this, it doesn't have tabs, but it gives you the full display PM on your page almost like the IPB 2.x, search around for the inline PM feature.

7) The reason we can't allow IPB 1.3 skins to be added through upload like it was set up to be done originally is because the HTML templates are disabled here, and many of the skins you can download require them to be changed. It could be coded to work with our current sections such as the board wrappers, CSS, and macros (which was just revamped to make working with them easier), but the skins would not turn out right as most use HTML templates, and the skins which done use the HTML templates are mainly for remotely hosted boards (Like IF, and JFB), so they are already posted in text format and not an uploadable format.

A couple reasons why the templates are disabled are because:

- By editing them, you could easily mess up a section jcink changed to work properly with a JFB feature.
- People would mess them up and expect help on fixing them, as resetting them will only allow them to start over and not keep their previous work, let alone the amount of restorals that would be involved with this if it was done any other way.
- Plus all the boards run off one set of files, though it could be set up so each board could edit its files, there is always room for error.

This post has been edited by Taylor W: Nov 13 2008, 12:38 AM

signature
Cordially,
Taylor W | JFH Retired Administrator

Jcink - "I'm more hip and advanced than you will ever know."
taylor@jcink.com user posted image
#
@ Taylor W; 1) It's not as simple as adding skins, we need to search for decent looking skins, and get permission from the creator, which in most cases does not want their skin used as a default option on a host they never heard of, or do not know much about.

Strange, because I see a skin of mine, and I never gave permission. I'm not blaming you guys of course.

This post has been edited by Cedric: Nov 13 2008, 06:02 AM

signature
user posted image
Forum Promotion Services & Resources!
PM
#
QUOTE (Cedric @ November 13, 2008 07:01 am)
@ Taylor W; 1) It's not as simple as adding skins, we need to search for decent looking skins, and get permission from the creator, which in most cases does not want their skin used as a default option on a host they never heard of, or do not know much about.

Strange, because I see a skin of mine, and I never gave permission. I'm not blaming you guys of course.

Contact me then and tell me what skin it is, then I'll see if we can go through the old records. I know for a fact we ask permission when we find a skin. Someone pretending to be you, or a re-brander of your skin(s) may have distributed your skin to us illegitimately..

He is correct, we ask permission, and that's one of the reasons the importer isn't full of skins in the first place. It's difficult to get, we don't just steal skins.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
QUOTE (Jcink @ November 13, 2008 06:17 am)

Contact me then and tell me what skin it is, then I'll see if we can go through the old records. I know for a fact we ask permission when we find a skin. Someone pretending to be you, or a re-brander of your skin(s) may have distributed your skin to us illegitimately..

He is correct, we ask permission, and that's one of the reasons the importer isn't full of skins in the first place. It's difficult to get, we don't just steal skins.

I did.

I appreciate that you just don't go off and adding skins, since that is pretty much an immature thing to do.

signature
user posted image
PM
#
QUOTE (Cedric @ November 13, 2008 04:20 am)

I did.

I appreciate that you just don't go off and adding skins, since that is pretty much an immature thing to do.

I have gotten permission from the creator of every skin in the importer myself. I do think that I asked someone from the copyright, though the name could have been different which makes me think that someone may have posted your skin as their own. I will try and search for where I got this skin and who I got the permission from.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

signature
Cordially,

#
QUOTE (Taylor W @ November 13, 2008 01:08 pm)
QUOTE (Cedric @ November 13, 2008 04:20 am)

I did.

I have gotten permission from the creator of every skin in the importer myself. I do think that I asked someone from the copyright, though the name could have been different which makes me think that someone may have posted your skin as their own. I will try and search for where I got this skin and who I got the permission from.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Don't worry bud, I solved it with Jcink, it's not your fault. tongue.gif

signature
user posted image
PM
#
these 2 are for the pm set up section,

8. have another part in that section for: Unblockable PM Groups
decription: {Members will not be able to block private messages from members in the selected groups. You may select more than one.} then all the groups you can select will be next to it.

9. have another part in that section for: Override 'Inbox Full' Error:
description: {Members in the selected groups will be able to send private messages to other members, even when their inbox is 'full'.} then all the groups next to it to select which ones you want.
heres and example

user posted imageuser posted image

signature
The Respected:
#
QUOTE (coolmike454 @ November 14, 2008 10:34 pm)

decription: {Members will not be able to block private messages from members in the selected groups. You may select more than one.} then all the groups you can select will be next to it.

description: {Members in the selected groups will be able to send private messages to other members, even when their inbox is 'full'.} then all the groups next to it to select which ones you want.
heres and example

Seem like good ideas, kinda pointless in a few ways.

9: Just set a group to have a higher number

8: why block by groups? Why not by member and the staff can not be blocked.

signature
user posted image

Shift UI Development Thread
"Design is not just what it looks like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs
#
QUOTE (Gunblaza @ November 14, 2008 09:08 pm)
QUOTE (coolmike454 @ November 14, 2008 10:34 pm)

heres and example

Seem like good ideas, kinda pointless in a few ways.

9: Just set a group to have a higher number

8: why block by groups? Why not by member and the staff can not be blocked.

Thats what he means, except keep users from specific groups from being allowed to be blocked. Like if I'm an admin, I can't be blocked.

As for the higher number idea, its just more space taken up, its easy enough to up the PM limit to a crazy number such as 9999.

This post has been edited by Taylor W: Nov 14 2008, 11:18 PM

signature
Cordially,

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feature Requests | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll